cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS and Router questions...

mrfawlty
Dabbler

DNS and Router questions...

It is getting increasingly hard to prevent my older son from circumventing any security measures I put up - It's not a problem as I'm happy to give him more leniency as he grows - the trouble lies when he changes settings on a PC that my youngest uses and I still want him to be more locked down.
Could someone please explain how I prevent any other DNS servers being used apart from the OpenDNS ones that I am using?  Something about blocking UDP Port 53?
I have the Technicolor TG582N.
Also, whilst I'm here, which router could I upgrade to that works well with Plusnet?  I could do with one with Gigabit connections on it.  I tried the Billion 5800 but no amount of tinkering would get it work with anything other than extremely slow speeds. Switchin back to the TG582 immediately rectified it.  Has anyone else managed to get the Billion router working ok?
Thanks in advance of any help. Smiley
15 REPLIES 15
gary42
Grafter

Re: DNS and Router questions...

You are correct on UDP port 53. I do this myself and use OpenDNS.
You need to add a firewall rule to block outgoing traffic on this port.
This link shows you where the firewall setup page is.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-advanced.shtml
Haven't done it myself with this router but I can take a look when I get home tonight if you don't get any other replies.
mrfawlty
Dabbler

I have tried the web interface for the firewall. Cloned the existing 'Standard' ruleset and then went to 'Add' a rule to block port 53 on UDP but can't fathom it out at all.  It's making me feel like such a newbie!  If anyone is patient enough to provide a step-by-step I would be So-o-o-o grateful. Smiley
Anyone got any ideas on the router front?  Which models have you guys used instead of the Plusnet one?
gary42
Grafter

Haven't tested this but you could try the rule in the attachment.
After creating your new security level click it's radio button and then click edit.
Click on add.
Fill it out as per the attached image, basically just selecting the DNS service (Not in alphabetical order!)
To test, add a DNS IP to your IPV4 config on a PC  and see if you can access any web pages.
I'm assuming it has copied the block all incoming rule when creating the new level but it's not obvious if it has.
gary42
Grafter

It may also be worth specifying the destination interface as 'wan'.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have a 14YO (Autistic) son, he tries everything possible to bypass any blocks I put on his PC!
I have found the best way is to block at as many levels as possible: OpenDNS is a start, PlusNet Protect (McAffee) also has some good protection features, I also invested in a router that can blacklist/whitelist  chosen addresses (including wildcards).  An expensive router may seem like 'overkill' (and needs manual input) but it can help if the problem is serious.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mrfawlty
Dabbler

Each parent needs to decide on how they protect their children, as long as it is in the child's best interest I guess.
Choosing another router would be my instinctive route as the TG582n just doesn't have enough options or features.  The trouble is, I got a Billion 5800N as it was given loads of awards and it just doesn't work well with Plusnet.  Which model did you choose?
The firewall setting didn't work by the way. Sad
w23
Pro

Quote from: mrfawlty
Which model did you choose?

I use a Fritz!Box 7390, good features including access control (times, daily limit of hours, blacklist or whitelist) but silly price unless you use its other features too.  Just need to ensure that 'Junior' doesn't get the password for the router!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gary42
Grafter

Quote from: mrfawlty
The trouble is, I got a Billion 5800N as it was given loads of awards and it just doesn't work well with Plusnet.

Is it a 7800N? Couldn't find any 5800N.
In what way isn't it performing? Is it sync speed or throughput which is poor?
Might be worth persisting with the Billion in case it is faulty and worth an exchange.
mrfawlty
Dabbler

Yeah, it is a 7800N, sorry for the typo.
I could only get any sort of connection if I put the MTU up to 1500 and even then the response was just horrible.  The router seems fine at a friends who uses TalkTalk  tho which is why I thought there was something in the chipset it uses (Don't ask me what that is!)
w23
Pro

There's at least two regulars on this forum using the 7800N (just check their post 'signatures') on Plusnet.  I don't know if firmware version would cause significant issues since Plusnet use 'standard BT lines'.
I'll update this post if I find out it's OK to name names.
Call me 'w23'
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

7800n firmware 1.06g working fine on PN network.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro

Thanks Strat, I was going to PM you to have a look here in case you could offer assistance / suggestions.
BTW, your signature says 1.06f  Wink
Call me 'w23'
mrfawlty
Dabbler

I would be grateful if you could let me know what settings you use as my experience with it was horrible.  It would connect ok but the response I got to page requests was painful, and as I put earlier, if had the MTU any lower than 1500, I could hardly load anything, particularly HTTPS pages which was weird. All other settings were left at their defaults.
Actually, I'm not sure if I should start a new thread but my TG582N has started playing up too in this regard.  Speedtests are perfect but in actual use it gets really slow, with timeouts all over the place with only a router reboot and the long wait while it reconnects to be the only answer.
I would love to get my 7800N working as it is a much superior router in all respects.  My exchange/cabinet is not FTTC enabled and I currently get roughly a 6Mb connection (Really frustrating as 2 streets away they are and they get 12-15Mb on average! Aaargh!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Cheers w23 Smiley
My MTU IS 1492
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine