Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Server problem?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: DNS Server problem?

Thanks, glad to hear it's all working again (thought I was going mad there for a second Wink ).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobboulby
Grafter

There appear to be DNS problems again this morning. I cannot ping 212.159.6.9 or 212.159.6.10. Switched to Open DNS and everything works again.
Bob
psykix
Grafter

Agreed.
DNS problems here also, but they are intermittent.
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Ditto.
Data Centre Outage (59918) - UPDATE
Further investigation has identified that the problem is caused by a failed network gateway router rather than a power issues. Our networks team are currently investigating this further.
Kind Regards,
James Prestwood
Customer Support
mikeb
Rising Star

Anyone know WHICH data centre - or perhaps more to the point, which gateway is affected or whatever because I'm having hellish problems here Sad  All DNS queries lead either to the portal or a blackhole at the mo for some stupid reason best known to PN so I'm currently "enjoying" manually looking up IPs from Ye Olde Logs various for anything that isn't already cached at this end  Cry
A problem with a broken router I can handle, [mremoved] happens and all that, but an apparently broken router that apparently completely screws up DNS 100% I cannot.  What happened to network resilience and all that ? Surely 1 broken router somewhere shouldn't be able to effectively disable DNS completely should it ?    Cheesy   Mail is still being collected and browsing is still possible after a fashion so routing in general via the gateway I'm on isn't screwed completely but DNS apparently is !
I'm currently on pte-ag2 as per usual but I don't particularly want to just blindly reboot anything at this end for fear of an "out of the frying pan and into the fire" experience rather than some kind of vague improvement.  I'm at least getting mail without difficulty at the mo and I can sort-of browse if I can be a***d to do the lookups manually so to speak.  It could be worse .... but only just  Roll_eyes
jim:red avoidance of swear filter mod:end

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
nascom1

Angry
Where is the service status for this?
I have just wasted the best part of two hours trying to diagnose this. Not all the time was directly related, but...
I'm on a Metronet line (still some left) with Voyager 2100 router set to automatically assign DNS, PCs set to use router as DNS. All was well yesterday.
This morning the router was sync'd up but names wouldn't resolve, either on PCs or on the handy "quick diagnose" in the 2100. I don't know what DNS it had yesterday, but after a reboot this morning when trouble was initially spotted, it had the well-known plusnet ones 212.159.13.49 and .50, not the ones on the Metronet setup pages. Those Plusnet ones don't respond to DNS queries from here, but those servers do appear respond to DNS queries from another account (a Plusnet PAYG one in a different part of the country).
After a certain amount of faffing about, I eventually tried the recently announced Google Public DNS on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 by telling the PCs to use that (for now).
Everything works now.
Also, I couldn't find the geographic (non-0845) support number anywhere. Does it still exist?
Seasons greetings, etc.
Vip3r
Grafter

When I connected this morning, my Router picked up a gateway address of [tt]195.166.128.110[/tt] no idea what the name of this gateway is as nothing worked.
Fixed my problem by Disconnecting and reconnecting in the router (connection status) I was then briefly connected to [tt]pte-ag1 [195.166.128.65] [/tt]but now I'm connected to  [tt]ptn-ag2 [195.166.128.54][/tt]and all seems to be working OK.
Mike: as others have said earlier in this thread adding openDNS is a good way of avoiding some of the DNS issues that plusnet seem to have occasionally.
nascom1: I have found checking http://twitter.com/plusnet is sometimes more up-to-date than the normal service status pages...
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nascom1
Also, I couldn't find the geographic (non-0845) support number anywhere. Does it still exist?

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80360.0.html
Tigger
Rising Star

I was getting some web pages here this morning, and it wasn't until my e-mail refused to pick up that I realised there was a problem.
Did a tracert:
Tracing route to portal.plus.net [212.159.8.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    25 ms    24 ms    24 ms  lo0-homesurf.pcl-ag01.plus.net [195.166.128.28]
  3    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  4    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  5    *        *        *    Request timed out.
etc etc
30    *        *        *    Request timed out.
Trace complete.
Only managed to get on here by gateway hopping, as the Plusnet pages were completely unavailable, except for the Usegroup pages, and the Service status RSS notification.
Got my e-mail, and got on here, immediately after the gateway hop.
mikeb
Rising Star

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  Angry .... I kinda preferred the frying pan cos the fire was hot.hot.hot.   Cry
But after mucho [mremoved] about and finally selling my soul to Mr.Opendns on the principle that it's perhaps slightly less unpleasant in the long-term than having Mr.Google watching, logging and selling details of my every move 24/7, I can now actually do stuff without all the poncing about !
So this 'ere router that's apparently gone all t*ts up is one just in front of the ZX81 that runs the DNS service I presume ?  What a complete bl**dy fiasco.  No real surprise that DNS has been cranky for a dog's age it would appear then if 1 router having some problem stuffs just about everything for just about everyone is it ?  Always assuming that "router" isn't a convenient PN synonym for "entire DNS Platform" of course.
Must say that when using opendns, everything is absolutely flying along rather than the customary PN treacle-like experience that's been the case for several months now.  Interesting and all that.  Could of course be that 99% of PN customers are completely unable to do anything much at all on their connection just now so I almost have the entire network to myself mind you.  
Either way, it's long past time that PN updated the service.status IMHO as it's now at least 6 hours since it started and no relevant updates.  A little honesty about the true nature and scale of the problem probably wouldn't go a miss either.  It will be interesting to see/hear the waffle, excuses, BS and general squirming that will no doubt appear in due course to try and explain the situation away without actually providing too much in the way of any detail, particularly that of the potentially embarrassing kind.
I have much sympathy for whoever has drawn the short straw for trying to sort the problem ... but little if any for network management and/or other relevant office-dwellers, paper-pushers or bean-counters that have no doubt contributed to if not been directly responsible for this and all the various other network (mis)management problems of late.  
Time to give up, pull the plug and wander out into the Real World TM I think ... in hope that a*ses have been well and truly put into gear by the time I return.
jim:red avoidance of swear filter mod:end

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Be3G
Grafter

I'm not too impressed by the response on Service Status either - the next update is scheduled for 6pm which is *far* too late for something that's stopping a number of people from using their internet connection. I don't fancy using the public DNS services that're available so my only access to the internet today is from my phone. Sad
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Back online OK now but could only access the Netgear page my router goes to if you click 'test'. At least there was the announcement on the support line to say there were known problems.
Upside here is that now I'm connected at a faster speed which I haven't had for a month or two, when I was playing around with security settings while adding my husband's new computer to our home network.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Enough info for me on Priority Problems page
http://www.plus.net/support/service/problems/problem.php?intProblemId=59918
Only thing is that you can't see this page when you can't get onto the internet, so it's retrospective for me now I'm back online.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I don't fancy using the public DNS services that're available

What's the downside of using Open DNS? I switched my router over this morning from using the PlusNet to Open DNS servers and was thinking of leaving it like that to avoid similar problems in the future.
What's the 'expert' recommendation on the best setup?
Bob.
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Posted 12.48...
Data Centre Outage (59918) - UPDATE
Further investigation has found the equipment on site has not been possible to restart or repair. The engineer on site is currently awaiting the delivery of a replacement part and will fit this once it arrives.
Our networks team are monitoring this throughout the investigation.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may be providing.
Kind Regards,
Steve Lockley
Customer Support

"...  any inconvenience this may be providing???? "  are we in the business of providing inconvenience now then?