Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Resolution flaky since overnight maintenance

brush6136
Grafter
Fixes: 2

DNS Resolution flaky since overnight maintenance

This is somewhat similar though not as severe, as the major outage a couple of months ago (we didn't really get an admission of what that problem was did we - just profuse apologies).
This morning I have been getting problems in DNS resolution in what I can say is haphazard fashion ranging from google.co.uk to some small weather sites & sometimes getting here. This suggests that some of the updates/upgrades didn't go too well overnight. When the interruptions were getting too high last night I powered down the router (not something I do often) because there seemed no point leaving it on.
Brought router up this morning at around 07:45 & must have had at least 4 line drops/resets in that time.
I know this work is scheduled for the rest of this week but hope things become a tad more stable than currently at the weekend.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive word will suffice.
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: DNS Resolution flaky since overnight maintenance

The only overnight maintenance I'm aware of was the general BTWholesale maintenance, and this goes nowhere near our DNS servers.
It's more likely that the very large number of disconnections are causing the problems you're seeing rather than a widespread DNS problem:

Overnight maintenance will not cause this type of problem. It's worthwhile running through these steps: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/ and if that doesn't help report the fault to us at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
brush6136
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Thanks for that. Think your diagnosis number of connections nearer the mark as today normal service has been resumed.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive word will suffice.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for getting back to us, it's certainly looking a lot more stable today:
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
C1Rider
Grafter

First time today I experienced the DNS problem..  I could ping the DNS server address' but not the Gateway address; I could ping 8.8.8.8 but not google.com ( well, that's obvious !! )
After a restart of my router I was returned to the same DNS servers/gateway address', could ping them all this time..  When I was disconnected my router still showed a connection ( HH4 ). strange..