cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM strikes again

JamesM
Grafter

DLM strikes again

I knew I should have left well enough alone, after being stuck on 7.6 download speed for over 4 months I finally get my line stable and after a BT visit and a line reset I was getting 9.2 download speed with a 9280 BT profile and a 8000 PN profile. I have had no disconnections for 2 weeks, so today I thought I would try a reset and see if my sync can go higher than 10500 and nearer the 15000 my attenuation suggests I should get. So I disconnected through the router page, reset the router and lo and behold back to 7.6 again.
One disconnect in over 2 weeks and I lose 1.6 Mb of speed. Which profile predicts my speed, is it the stuck at 8000 PN one or the BT one ?
14 REPLIES 14
MrT
Grafter

Re: DLM strikes again

Quote from: JamesM
Which profile predicts my speed, is it the stuck at 8000 PN one or the BT one ?

It's the lower of the two!  Sad
JamesM
Grafter

I have just done another BT speedtester and my profile has dropped from 9280 to 9111 (sync speed dropped from 10519 to 10327)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6350 Kbps
Your DSL Connection Rate :10327 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1215 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9111 Kbps
So I don't understand how my speed has dropped so much.
In other words, BT give me a higher profile than PN but I am stuck with the PN profile because the delta report is faulty ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Having checked the profiles, both are currently set to 8000 so ours isn't stuck presently I'm afraid. Regarding which predicts the speed, I guess whichever is lower will do that. Don't forget we're still getting delta reports at the slower speed as the 88.2% hasn't yet rolled out yet.
Not sure what to suggest regarding the slower speed though, other than the usual master/test socket tests - don't suppose they make any difference?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did you take note of your noise margin immediately after the reboot? That will be the target noise margin. If you reboot when the noise margin is higher than the target you should resync at a higher speed, if you reboot when it is lower than the target it will probably resync at a lower speed. I suspect you picked the wrong time to reboot!
By how much does your noise margin vary?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JamesM
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
My noise margin fluctuates between 5 and 6 both up and down,
Noise Margin  6    6.
It used to drop to as low as 2 of a night but now never seems to go below 5, maybe thats is why I can now stay connected through the night.
I am hoping that my speed goes back up but I think I am going to be stuck on 7.6 again, and everytime I have been stuck on 7.6 it is because my line has been capped. I can't see a reason for my line to be capped though because I have been connected for about 11 days straight with interleaving off so I can't be getting many errors or I would keep losing connection.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The only thing I can think of aside from the above is to raise a fault if it's still misbehaving I'm afraid. Probably worth it though.
JamesM
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I am hoping that me disconnecting hasn't banded my line speed again. See how it goes after 72 hours.
I still have a fault open so I just added onto it, it has been a long and painful process with many mistakes, I hate to complain about anything anymore because usually when someone from PN as much as look at my stats, Interleaving gets turned back on and my upstream gets capped again. Sad
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Matt
88.2% hasn't yet rolled out yet.

I thought October 10th was all completed ?
JamesM
Grafter

So yesterday I disconnected through the router page and then reset my router and got a speed drop from 9.2 to 7.6 a sync drop and a profile drop.  This morning I thought stuff the disconnect through the router page and just pulled the plug out of the wall, speed went from 7.6 up to 9.6 and sync went from 10327 up to 10745. So I guess I wont be disconnecting through the router page anymore as what I need is a proper disconnect to get the DLM to kick in positively.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Noise margin before and after?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JamesM
Grafter

Noise margin jelv was 6 before and 6 after downstream, and 6 before and 6 after upstream.
At the moment it is 6 down and 5 up.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I had try Noise Margin 0.2dB and amazing it got speed of 17 Meg (Sync 19421K) on 33dB downstream line attenuation. Wish I had that speed last longer.
JamesM
Grafter

Unfortunately goldenadsl my router doesn't seem to like low noise margins, as it used to drop to 2 at night time and would allways seem to disconnect. I am happy with 9.2 download speed and 15 ping. It would be nice to scrape 10 Mb download but I think as long as it stays stable at this speed then I will leave it alone.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Yeah true. I leave mine at 15 Meg at 3.1dB and it always drop around 2.5dB at nighttime.