Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM "Intelligence" Laughable

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

DLM "Intelligence" Laughable

Is there any  "Intelligence" behind the snr adjustments made by the DLM?
My connection stability is normally measured in months up. The recent storm caused a couple of drops and subsequent work the next day caused a couple more.
If the  "Intelligence" behind the DLM thinks that makes an unstable line requiring a rise in the snr then the system is laughable and well pass time it was retired.
20 REPLIES 20
AndyH
Grafter

Re: DLM "Intelligence" Laughable

But how is DLM suppose to know that your drops were caused by the recent storm and work carried out the next day?
tonycollinet
Grafter

It can't - but it should be able to recognise a return to stability of a long time stable line after a short period of instability, and ramp the speed back up rapidly.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What kind of storm? Electrical, or blowing down telephone poles?
I thought the DLM should (or at least could) be able to recognise a thunderstorm by going on the basis of all the lines in an area having a lot of extra CRC errors. The DLM doesn't just work on disconnections, it also considers the rate at which errors occur. A thunderstorm really hammers down the mean time between errors (MTBE), because the thunderstorm causes errors almost every second for a long period.
You can compare my graphs of yesterday with a little thunder / lightning in the afternoon with some typical (for me) days the days before. The weren't necessarily that many more CRC errors, but double the number of seconds containing CRC errors ("Error Seconds", ES), significantly lowering the MTBE into the red (under 60).
We have also seen some "interesting" DLM data posted by plusnet staff in a couple of threads recently. This showed some difficult to interpret things, such as varying number of retrains without any changes in line speed, and another had changes in line speed or changes in uptime but with zero retrains counted. I suppose the latter could be explained by cleanly disconnecting each time, but it made me wonder about how accurate the data the DLM collects is.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

DLM is not "intelligent" it's perverse. I was in the process of writing a bit of an epistle about DLM for another thread when I had a damned power cut and hadn't saved what I was writing Embarrassed and the machine I was doing it one was not on my UPS Roll_eyes so I'll have to do it again later today
billnotben
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
how is DLM suppose to know that your drops were caused by the recent storm and work

That's the point. If it doesn't even know that and can't look at simple line history it's not exactly fit for any purpose I can think of.
Why should I have to wait around 30 days or so before things return to normal. It would be acceptable if things would return to normal as fast as they crash and burn.
Anotherone
Champion

Are you on 20CN billnotben?
billnotben
Community Veteran

ADSL2+
G.992.5 annex A
GeordieMark
Grafter

One of the DCT guys on here should be able to reset your DLM if you're not on Fibre Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

20CN changes are problematic atm, BTw have changed something in their interfaces Sad
GeordieMark
Grafter

Oh Sad BTw seem to be causing more problems than they're fixing recently Sad
Anotherone
Champion

Isn't that always the case  Angry
billnotben, I presume you tried logging into your modem/router and clicking Disconnect for the PPP Internet session, and then powering down. Wait 10 minutes and power up again, login and click Connect and see if that has improved things.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Tried that 3 days ago and again this morning with no change.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I'm happy to try an SNR reset for you. It's set to 10.5db right now, which is pretty high.
I'll do my best to check back on this in an hour or so to see if the changes I've mean I can update your profile.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
billnotben
Community Veteran

Thanks that looks better. I'll leave it for a good few days before I try an early morning reset to get the best speed.
A year or two back it kept dropping to an snr of 3 but someone at Plusnet did their best to get it to stick to 6 which is why I was a bit surprised to see it move.
Of course there is always the possibility that the storm and the spanner in the works has now made the line not as stable as it was. Hopefully not and it's just a blip.
But you can never be sure with these things.