Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM Trial -- Whats happening??

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

DLM Trial -- Whats happening??

@Dave.
I was a member on what i perceive as to be a very successful trial on fixing the SNR etc, and doing away with the DLM altogether. unfortunately I was removed from this trial after it had finished due to a line issue, that (hopefully) has now been fixed.
I am wondering whats happening with any furture development of this, as from what I gleaned from forum posts on this, EVERYONE thought it was a good idea.
Would be grateful for any feedback
39 REPLIES 39
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: DLM Trial -- Whats happening??

Seconded, I wasn't on the trial but watched with interest. Currently there is no way I will go anywhere near 21CN with the proverbial 'barge-pole' until something is done about the DLM. From what I can see banded profiles in particular, if recent posts on the forum are representative, are a 'nightmare'. The DLM seems, quiet often with little apparent justification, to apply them and almost never removes them without manual intervention. My line currently just about hangs on to a stable 8Mb connection at 8db margin and there's no way I'm going to 21CN and ADSL2+, and letting the DLM muck that up!, until there is some form of control as you get with an LLU connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi guys,
From what I understand there's going to be a 2 phased approach. The first phase has just been confirmed as going live in September which is called CCSNR. This is functionality we already have on 20CN, the CC stands for Customer Controlled and what it allows is to do is reset  a customer's profile to 6dB fast/interleaved (depends on whether interleaving is set to on or not). It doesn't though disable DLM.
For the 2nd phase BT are looking at whether they can offer a customer controlled line profile option, things are looking good for later in the year but we've not yet had official confirmation. I'm hopeful it will happen and we've given them a huge amount of feedback as have the other ISPs on the the trial and 21CN in general, but it's watch this space really.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thanks for the update Dave.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Dave.  I will keep fingers and toes crossed....
Force9Original
Grafter

Any update on Trailing the line with out the DLM?
The DLM  & lack of control over it ,is one of the biggest issues thats making me look towards LLU.
The lines stable enough to have the annoyance removed.
Thx f9o Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I found this trial to be the best thing since I first ever connected to the internet.
For me, a combination of faulty routers and occasional poor line meant DLM punnishing my connection - since 'fixing' the SNR I have never had a better connection.
I just cannot see any downside once a 'normally stable' rate is established for the line the benefits are enormous (no profile drops and, most importantly, goodbye to banding).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
CX
Grafter

CCSNR l is the only thing that kept me from paying a cancellation fee and moving to TalkTalk LLU.
In my opinion the DLM on 21CN is an unnecessarily complex system that favours saving BT bandwidth and VP capacity over providing the best rate for the customer. IP profiles are bad enough (and another example of BT cost savings masquerading as stability measures) but DLM and it's ever increasing SNR and banding was close to being the last straw for me, until PN fixed me to a 6dB profile.
Grafter

As a member of the trial and after nearly a year I can only see advantages. My sync is now steady at 11000k minimum whereas it would often fall to 5000 - 6000k prior to the trial. Pity this method of connection is not available to all who want it.
Smiley Smiley
chesterfield
Grafter

As someone sat here with an ip profile of 2000 but a sync rate of over 6700 and a SNR of 12, I too wish this was available to all.  Waiting 3 days for the ip profile to be raised, plus another 10 for the SNR to reduce to 9, another 10 to reduce to 6 and a few more days for the ip profile to catch up, its going to be February before Im back getting speeds that my line can support.  This artificial speed limiting masquerading as "stability" is frustrating at best.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

So Dave, have we any updates on if this is actually going to happen or not??  It seems to the EU the best thing we could have asked for, but are BT actually going to supply this functionality....  I suspect not!!!
Force9Original
Grafter

Is the trial on going or has it stopped?
The line constantly syncs below "Fault Threshold Rate", but your hands are tied due to the banding kicking in as soon as you try any tweaking.
Like CX23882 points out, its would help steam the longing LLU looks.... Sad
Thx f9o
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys,
We are still trialling this but it's not something that we will just apply by request. If you have a fault and we feel this will help solve it then we will certainly consider it. If during the course of a fault investigation you mention this as an option then the faults team will be able to tell you whether they think this will help.
Jojo Smiley
itsme
Grafter

That's very short-sighted as PN could be losing customers to LLU providers, as I could be one.
The system is so slow to react. I was placed on a banded profile of 1472-3072 with interleaving and then after a few weeks the system then decided to place me on a lower banded profile of  1152-2272. In each case I always sync'ed at the higher end i.e 3069 or 2272. Then a few weeks went pass then the DLM system removed the interleaving then a few days later upped the banding back to 1472-3072. The question is why if the line is stable so interleaving can be removed why was banding still applied?
Force9Original
Grafter

Would a line that syncs below fault threshold fall into the criteria....
The line can get to the threshold but only via SNR tweaking otherwise its sat nearly 1000Kbps below target on standard 6db SNR.
Thx f9o