cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY Fibre

MrHLancashire

DIY Fibre

I read on a post somewhere on the internet written back in 2013, that BT were going to offer DIY FTTC. Basically they send you the new faceplate and hardware, and you connect it yourself, negating the need for an engineer to come to your house.
Is this something that plusnet offer or will be offering, as it's not exactly rocket science.
Secondly, as an existing ADSL customer, when I look on the site for upgrading, it tells me if you have ADSL you will need a new router, but I know that the Technicolor routers are dual purpose (I work in IT and use these at work even though they are the worst routers ever for its user interface  :().
Thanks guys.
14 REPLIES 14
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: DIY Fibre

Plusnet fibre requires a separate modem & therefore an engineer visit. They do provide a separate router although I believe that the ADSL router can receive a firmware update to modify it.
As you correctly state, it's rubbish anyway. I use an Asus dual band fibre router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi MrHLancashire,
The fact that a separate router and modem is used for fibre has nothing to do with the necessity for an engineer visit.  Rather I think BTOR have simply not yet made this generally available.
As for the TG routers, the firmware is different between the ADSL and FTTC versions - I believe neither works with the other, so at the point of service switch over, you'd be left with no then working unit, unless you had a very carefully managed migration plan.  I guess that is something which you or I could sort out, but would be beyond the ability and experience of 95% of users.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The various other divisions of BT do have self install as an option, see the FTTC handbook, they don't even care if you don't have the latest faceplate and use plug in filters.
The latest 582n FTTC firmware can be configured for ADSL use. The main thing Plusnet would need to provide for self install FTTC would be a router with an integrated VDSL modem, which they currently don't offer.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

i started a thread about this the other day, and some of this forums mafia members essentially told me to f-off.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128972.0.html
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I think the biggest problem with this kind of option is that given the amount of customers who are happy to do this type of install there is likely to be a significant number of people who would either be uncomfortable doing it.
It could even be the case that the steps aren't followed correctly and the setup isn't completed properly which could drive in faults. I think a Self Install option is good but as Dave has mentioned here: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128972.msg1121685.html#msg1121685 we're still in the trial process at the moment.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: chenks76
i started a thread about this the other day, and some of this forums mafia members essentially told me to f-off.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128972.0.html

Your were rather badly beaten up on there whilst asking reasonable questions which I think were appropriately addressed by PN staff.
There is a marked difference between "wires only" (use your own modem) and "self install" (use the modem we will post to you like what we already do for ADSL).
The latter provides flexibility whilst ensuring that the equipment is of a known standard, is supportable and will enable remote diagnostics.  The former could become a right bag of worms.
The VDSL filter is an interesting dynamic in here.  Depending upon the type of NTE5 socket fitted, as advised elsewhere on a recent post everything beyond the test port is the EU's equipment, if the nte5 has a removable lower plate, then the EU can legally fit a VDSL faceplate which could be supplied with the shipped modem, just as are ADSL dangle filters at present.
This is not a technology issue, rather one of logistics and volume of take up verses the commercial effort to implement and the consequential support effort to pick up the DIY failures.  If a dangly VDSL filter were available I'd wage a tidy sum that there would be lots of DIY installations attempted on extension sockets, with the consequence of speed expectations not being met.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76

I think it was more of the case that we tried to explain something to you that you refused to accept.
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: AndyH
I think it was more of the case that we tried to explain something to you that you refused to accept.

no, certain users were guessing and making assumptions.
the only legitimate response was from PN - which proved that some of the people posting "answers" in fact had it totally wrong.
as i said, if BT and Sky can do it (and they have far higher subscriber numbers than BT) then PN should have no real problem offering it.
i'm not saying make it the only option, i'm saying it should be one of the options.
and with regards to you AndyH, you have some cheek using the "refused to accept" line.
it's clear for everyone to see in this forum that when you respond to any thread it's a "my way or the high way" attitude you take - and pushing opinion as fact.
i've seen many replies from you where you point blank refuse to take anyone else's opinion.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod note.
This isn't Chit Chat so can we please keep it on topic.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chenks76
All Star

all on-topic as far as i can see..... ie the discussion related to DIY Fibre and subsequent threads about it.
AndyH
Grafter

@ MrHLancashire
This post clarifies Plusnet's position (pretty much as I pointed out on a previous thread):
Quote from: dave
Hi,
We've been testing the Openreach self install product, mainly with staff and friends and family of staff members and mainly using the Technicolor VDSL router noted above. We've also been watching the industry results of how self install compares to engineer install.
We don't offer an option in our fibre signup journey to provide your own router for 2 reasons, first 99.99% of people signing up won't have a suitable VDSL router and secondly even if they did the router probably wouldn't have gone through the Openreach testing. While a router doesn't need to go through the Openreach testing, if the vendor hasn't met the standards set by Openreach or if they don't provide ongoing support should the standards change then there's no guarantee the service would continue to work.
As with ADSL, self install FTTC will likely become the norm in time but for the moment it's still a trial process for us.

No timescale, but I would imagine it happens sooner rather than later - there is a higher cost for Plusnet 'managed installs' vs 'self installs'.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That all depends upon where and when you measure the cost.
At the moment the cost in in provision / installation at the start of service, applies to all subscribers and ensures it works.
With self install, the costs arise out of support remedying DIY failures, unfulfilled expectations, user disappointment and loss of reputation.  These costs are likely to dwarf the present costs and be difficult to control - putting a problem right is invariably more costly than preventing it in the first place.
As with this forum, only a minority of PN users use it, I suggest only a similar minority would be capable of doing a successful DIY install without giving rise to recourse to support.  With FTTC installs being what they are at present - cabinet / filter / restricted modems / data extensions - they are not idiot proof (Kelly technicians struggle) enough for the majority to undertake.  Most people get jittery about removing the NTE5 face plate...

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AndyH
there is a higher cost for Plusnet 'managed installs' vs 'self installs'.

The BT price list shows three types of install:
1.  Basic Install or Managed Install using the Openreach Modem - £80
2.  Self Install using Customer Provided Modem/Router - £49
3.  Managed Install using a Customer Provided Modem/Router - £99
In common with many ISPs (but notably not BT Retail) PN use option 1 so self install would save £30.  As long as a VDSL router costs less than £30 more than the TG582n then there is hardware saving but, as mentioned above, the support costs may actually be higher.
I should imagine that, as with ADSL, BT will withdraw the managed install option of course...
MrHLancashire

OMG what have I started  Huh
Thanks for the answer though, just a pain having to take time off work.
Thanks guys.