Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP lease time & renewal

Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

DHCP lease time & renewal

Hi,
I generally connect to PN at about 09:30 each morning with, I assume, a PN DHCP assigned IP address.
However, in the afternoon (not sure of the time but after 15:00 I think) my IP address changes.
If my memory serves me well (I have been out of the 'game' for over 10 years so things might have changed) DHCP should just renew the IP address when the lease runs out if I am connected.
Can anyone please advise what the lease time is and why I don't get the same IP when it has expired.
Thank you
Peter
24 REPLIES 24
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: DHCP lease time & renewal

It sounds like you're suffering a disconnection to be honest.
What do your router logs say?
B.
Peterworks
Rising Star

Barry thanks for your reply and correct diagnosis.
Checked log and found following:
Jan 27 17:08:12> DSL out of sync
Jan 27 17:08:20> DSL Carrier is down
Jan 27 17:08:31> DSL in Sync
Jan 27 17:08:40> DSL Carrier is up
Jan 27 17:08:40> sar read trained mode (1)(ADSL_G.dmt)
Jan 27 17:08:41> PPPD Terminated Through Signal
Jan 27 17:08:41> Connection terminated.
I was reconnected within a minute.
Thanks again - query solved though why I lost sync is another question,
Peter
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Peterworks,
You get a different IP address every time you reconnect. It will stay the same, though, as long as you are connected. I was wondering whether your line could perform any better, but when I ran a check it was not in sync, so I was unable to come to any conclusions. It looks like you turn your router off after each session, and quite often these disconnections can cause an unstable line. Are you using a USB router, If not, then for best performance I would suggest leaving it on all the time.
This is your last 7 days' connection logs, where you can see when you disconnected.

Jojo Smiley
Peterworks
Rising Star

Hi Joanne,
Thanks for the info and advice.
I tend to turn off my router for power saving (probably minimal) and safety (fire hazard). Probably being over cautious.
Will leave the router permanently on with, perhaps, a reboot over the weekends and see how it goes.
If you consider a line check worthwhile then please do so - would be much appreciated.
Peter
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Peter,
I've just ran a check and your sync rate is 5024k with a SNR of 13dB so still room for improvement there. Are you using extension cables/sockets for your connection? You may get better results from the test socket.
Jojo Smiley
Peterworks
Rising Star

Hi Joanne,
I am using an extension socket which I fitted. I am in a bungalow and the cable runs through the roof space well away from any electrical interferance. Using the master socket permanently is not an option for me unfortunately.
I did do some speed tests on both the extension and master but there was no discernable difference.
I have read that the bell wire in an extension may cause interference (in fact I think BT provide a special gizmo to fit to the master socket to suppress this). As I don't need the bell wire would it be worthwhile disconnecting it ?
Of course this maybe an urban myth !
Thanks for your input on this.
Peter
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Peter,
When you plug into the main socket you wouldn't see any improvement in speed as the speed profile is set by your current connection rate. Even if your connection rate increases it takes a while for the profile to go up, hence you don't see an immediate speed increase. If you can plug it back into the test socket and let me know, I can run a line test to see if your connection speed has improved and we can take it from there.
Jojo Smiley
Peterworks
Rising Star

Hi Joanne,
The router is now up and running on the master socket. Look forward to the results...
Thanks again for your assistance,
Peter
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Peter. I'll get onto this now for you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Peter,
Not much difference here. Is it the test socket you're in?
Jojo Smiley
Peterworks
Rising Star

Hi Joanne,
Absolutely it is in the test socket...
Peter
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Peter,
Ok, thanks for the pic. I will reset the SNR and see how that goes. Please leave it in the test socket though.
Jojo Smiley
Peterworks
Rising Star

Hi Joanne,
Does this mean my extension gets a clean bill of health ? I will leave the router in the test socket for now.
Can you advise whether it is the sync rate or snr which has room for improvement and what the optimum number(s) would be ?
Thanks
Peter
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Peter,
Does this mean my extension gets a clean bill of health ?

Hopefully Smiley
Can you advise whether it is the sync rate or snr which has room for improvement and what the optimum number(s) would be ?

Target SNR is in 3dB increments with the optimum being 6dB, so for every 3dB above that you will lose up to 800k off your sync rate (although lines with shorter attenuation may not lose any). The maximum sync rate on an up to 8Mbps service is 8128k.
Jojo Smiley