cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP and other strange issues with new Plusnet Technicolor TG582n FTTC

giclements

DHCP and other strange issues with new Plusnet Technicolor TG582n FTTC

I've just moved to Plusnet's fibre service having previously been an O2 customer. Since taking delivery of my new router I am having some strange issues that I think come down to the DHCP server on the Plusnet router not doing what it should!
I have a hardwired Avaya IP phone which worked fine on my old O2 service but would not work with the Plusnet router. It could not exchange keys to set up a VPN service - in the end I gave the phone a fixed I address on my LAN and the router gateway and it works - even though it worked perfectly previously with a DHCP setup on the old O2 router.
I am also having problems with my SONOS kit - this time it seems to all work when hardwired into the LAN but once we go wireless from a client machine, the controller can no longer see any of the kit.
Finally, I've got various Mac clients on the wifi network and some can print to networked printers (hardwired on the LAN) whilst others cannot.
Something is not quite right with all this! I had a perfectly stable home network on my previous O2 Thomson box and apart from the BT modem and new Plusnet router nothing else has changed.
3 REPLIES 3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: DHCP and other strange issues with new Plusnet Technicolor TG582n FTTC

What was the ip address of the old router, your kit may not have refreshed the gateway/dns etc from the new router.
It sounds like you have issues with the gateway changing, or possibly a different sub net totally.
The 582 is not the best of routers, but it should work for what you have said you have issues with.
giclements

Both routers were 192.168.1.254 and I have powered everything up/down when I changed routers. Subnets all remained the same on internal LAN.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Have you checked out the problem devices to see what IP addresses they acquired and the router network page to see what addresses it allocated?
I have seen issues on TG582n routers with DHCP addresses having been allocated but not acquired by the host.  Giving the host a fixed IP gives it Internet access, but not local LAN visibility or connectivity.  See this post and the embedded link.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.