cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DGND3700 with Fibre?

FloppyG

DGND3700 with Fibre?

Is this possible, or will I still need a fibre modem?  I feel like it should have one, but am reading conflicting reviews.  If not, what would you recommend?  I currently have the N300, so would I be better off using this as a router with the supplied modem router - I presume it will become a switch then?  Or am I still living in the 90's?!
Thank you for reading   Undecided
(Modified due to citing incorrect model)
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Netgear N900 with Fibre?

Is this possible, or will I still need a fibre modem?

I assume we're talking about the WNDR4500. You will need a Fibre modem but it will be provided by the BT Engineer when he does the install. There aren't many routers that provide a VDSL port ( which is what you need to eliminate the BT modem ) and those that do are expensive.
I currently have the N300, so would I be better off using this as a router with the supplied modem router
I assume thats a DGN2200, if so that is a combined ADSL modem/router and won't work with the Fibre modem. Yes you could use it as a switch/Wireless access point with the standard PlusNet router but probably wouldn't give any extra benefit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FloppyG

Re: Netgear N900 with Fibre?

Thank you, that is helpful, except I gave the wrong model number!  It is a DGN3500, sorry!
I received my router from Plusnet last week, and the BT engineer is coming on the 21st, so I am guessing I already have the correct one - a Technicolor?  Or do they bring a modem?
I have only just started researching, but it seems to be very basic, and I love my Netgear.  I cannot yet find detailed info on the Techicolour though, so please don't think I'm being deliberately ignorant. I need full time PCA's due to being disabled, and the guest channel is brilliant for that, and the gigabit is also great for waching HD stuff when I'm stuck in bed...
The DGND3700 seems pricey but similar, do you think that would be ok?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: DGND3700 with Fibre?

The PN supplied Technicolor router is OK but I like many have been dissatisfied with its wireless performance. Over the slightest distance the download speed dropped off alarmingly.
I replaced mine with an Asus RT-N56U which, like the DGND3700 is dual band with lots of additional features. Compared to these 2, the Technicolor router is a very basic 2.4 Ghz router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

The DGND3500 is an ADSL only modem/router and will not work with Fibre.
The DGND3700 has an Ethernt WAN port in addition to an ADSL port and so will work with either, although it will still need to be connected via the BT modem for Fibre use.
I received my router from Plusnet last week, and the BT engineer is coming on the 21st, so I am guessing I already have the correct one - a Technicolor?  Or do they bring a modem?
Yes, PlusNet supply a Technicolor TG582n. The BT(OpenReach) engineer will bring the modem with him when he comes to do the install. The TG582n is not Gigabit and it can sometimes give poor wireless performance.
It you're looking at compatible Netgear models then take a look at this http://www.netgear.co.uk/images/Router%20Chart%209_1173-44305.pdf
The cheapest ( I guess! ) Gigabit models seem to be the WNR3500L & the WNDR3700.
The WNDR3700 is similar to the DGND3700 but without an ADSL port ( which you don't need ) and is a little cheaper.
One of the cheapest Gigabit routers out there is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008QBAXI4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&... . It gets some good reviews but I've no direct experience of it ( or even the Netgears for that matter ).
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FloppyG

Thank you MisterW, you have helped - even if it's obvious to everyone else, sometimes we all need clarification!