cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDOS Attacks

goldford

DDOS Attacks

Does anyone have experience of being DDOS attacked?
I have a home Broadband wired and wireless network and keep on receiving 'Security Messages' from my router each morning.
I have sent a copy of a typical string of messages to Plusnet tech' support but they say its something they cannot help with! Except telling me that it looks as if I'm being DDOS attacked.
I have read the Wiki on the subject and searched on the web but cannot find whether it is harmful to a single user and, if so, how to prevent it/them.
In fact I'm not really sure what it really does to other than a larger commercial network, rather than a single, home network.
Any thoughts and advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: DDOS Attacks

Post a typical string here - not too long please
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you're not experiencing poor performance of your broadband or router, then the "attacks" aren't causing any problems.
The messages could just be false alarms, especially if you use peer to peer software or anything else that uses large numbers of connections.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I have sent a copy of a typical string of messages to Plusnet tech' support but they say its something they cannot help with!

I've checked your account and can't see those anywhere. I'm sure we can have a look for you once they've been posted here. I'm sorry if support hasn't been up to scratch.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you get the odd one or two its not a Ddos just the firewall over reacting, but if you get thousands in minutes that is a Ddos.  Ddos attempts to use all your bandwidth to cripple your connection and possibly crash your router.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
goldford

Thanks Adam.
Please look at Plusnet Help Assistant's Question/Ticket #64469324 where you will find my request for assistance and where I attached a copy of a typical log received from my router alerting me of a security breach.
You will also find the response of your colleague.
goldford

Thanks guys, I'll just ignore it then.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi goldford,
How often is this happening, is this having any impact on the quality of your service?
If it's having no effect on your service then I wouldn't worry about it as your router appears to be doing what it should be and blocking any attempts.