Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DACS removal

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

DACS removal

My parents have decided that they might like to go online. As I'll be the one that will have to support them as neither of them has ever used a computer before it's a prospect I'm not looking forward to especially as they are over 200 miles away.
The first hurdle when I've checked their number on BT wholesale is that they have DACS. Is there any way to find out how much of a problem getting this removed is going to be before placing the order for broadband?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: DACS removal

Is there any way to find out how much of a problem getting this removed is going to be before placing the order for broadband?

Not really I'm afraid, it's handled as part of the ordering process. I'm my experience this is usually flagged as a delay on the order but sometimes they can be dealt with before the due completion date of the broadband order.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

More questions:
Would they put in a new master socket at the same time as removing the DACS? I had a very quick look last time I was there and there's definitely not a master with the removable lower half.
They have one of the emergency call buttons which obviously has to have it's unit permanently connected and it's on an extension at the moment. I've established that it could be moved to near the master socket (which is in a bedroom) so I'm thinking filtered master, wired telephone for use in a power cut and alarm unit by the master which would just leave the base unit for the cordless phones on an extension socket in the lounge. Could I get BT to install the filtered master if ordered at the same time as the DACS removal and if so how much would it cost? It would same me the 450 mile round trip!
For doing remote support I'm guessing I'd have to enable remote admin on their router and set up port forwarding to the laptop we're going to buy for some sort of remote control software (I'm on a fixed IP so that makes the rules setting easy). I'm also going to have to set up their router with DynDNS so that I can find them as they'll be on Value so no fixed IP. How easy is setting all this up going to be on the PN supplied router? I'm a bit wary of doing all this when I'm not familiar with the router. I'm wondering about stumping up the £4.99 and getting one myself as a spare (we're due to get 21CN in January I think and at present I have a DG834v1) and to familiarise myself with the router.
hadden
Grafter

For the remote support, there are several applications that are free to download for personal use, eg Crossloop or Teamviewer.
These don't need the router to be configured or software registration or account logins. You just run the software on your PC and the remote user runs it on their PC. The remote user tells you the numbers from the application on their PC and you type that number into the application on your PC. There are a couple of button clicks required like "Connect", etc, but I've found it works fine for users of lesser experience. That includes remote users with a PN supplied router.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Another is logmein (free version works just fine).
I can access my router by connecting to my laptop (at home) via logmein (from work) then use the laptop to remotely access the router (as though I was accessing it using my laptop at home).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: JohnJ
and the remote user runs it on their PC. The remote user tells you the numbers from the application on their PC

Therein lies the concern. I had in mind to use VNC (which I already use to do remote support in to the office) which if installed as a service only requires the technical ability of being able to turn the laptop on!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: w23
Another is logmein (free version works just fine).
I can access my router by connecting to my laptop (at home) via logmein (from work) then use the laptop to remotely access the router (as though I was accessing it using my laptop at home).

My concern here is being able to investigate if they say they can't get connected. If I can try to access the router direct I'd know whether its a connection issue or an issue with the laptop (or wireless). I'm already planning to provide an Ethernet cable and configure the laptop so it can be used that way if the problem is a wireless issue.
hadden
Grafter

With all due respect to ALL users, I understand what you mean  Cool
In certain situations, I have been known to place the relevant icon on a prominent position on the desktop and change the name to something non-technical like "JOHN Help". If you try the various applications, you could judge which one has the simplest interface that you could talk them through.
Yes, the link down issue is tricky to cover. So maybe your idea of getting a PN supplied router covers that as well, so that you could also become familiar with the LEDs, if you don't get as far as direct router access.
prichardson
Grafter

The master socket is not normally converted as part of a successful DACS conversion.
The majority of DACS removals take place without any arranged visit or access to the customer property. It is normally a shared property were they used an internal DACS.
It is possible to arrange an internal shift for the master socket and this will normally be renewed at the same time to an NTe5, as engineers will not normally re-use parts that could be considered too old.
However, they will not normally install an NTE2000 in this configuration. Certainly without our business installations, an engineer will fit an NTE2000 if requested as part of a new line install. We could supply notes in an internal shift that states NTE2000 needed for DSL use in conjunction with remote call alarm and I would certainly sit with the expectation that an engineer would do it if he carried the parts.
The cost of an internal shift is based on parts and TRC (time related charges). In terms of our charges, this is available in the price guide
This is £100 for the first hours work, then £65 for any subsequent hours needed (or part hours). We generally only authorise the two hour TRC banding on our orders, as this is more than ample time for the work needed under the "demarcation rules" (this defines generally 10 meters of cable from the point the cable enters the property).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's not a shared property, it's a detached bungalow with the DACS box outside.
The master socket doesn't need moving, just conversion to a NTe5 and then fitting of a filtered faceplate. Is conversion also parts and TRC? Do we know how much the parts would be?
brueton
Grafter

Be careful how you connect the phones if they have an emergency call unit.
It is best if the base unit for the emergency call unit is plugged into the master socket.
ALL phones should be connected via the alarm base unit, it should have a phone socket on it.
This is so that the base unit can termiate any active phone connections.
I had to rush over to my elderly mother's house at the weekend. Her carer called to say that she had had a fall during the night and pressed her button but it did not work. She was not hurt and got herself back to bed after a few minutes.
When I checked it turned out my sister had moved a corded phone into a different room. My mum had not put the handset back on it properly after using it and the emergency alarm could not dial out.
I will be altering the extension wiring this weekend so this does not happen again.
PeteB
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thanks for that tip - I'll have to check that out - I've a feeling it may not be set up correctly. Currently the alarm and the cordless base unit are on an extension socket in the lounge and they also have a corded phone in the master socket in the bedroom (use in a power cut and so Mum can make a call when Dad is watching the telly - he's a bit deaf!).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: PeteB
Be careful how you connect the phones if they have an emergency call unit.
It is best if the base unit for the emergency call unit is plugged into the master socket.
ALL phones should be connected via the alarm base unit, it should have a phone socket on it.
This is so that the base unit can termiate any active phone connections.
I had to rush over to my elderly mother's house at the weekend. Her carer called to say that she had had a fall during the night and pressed her button but it did not work. She was not hurt and got herself back to bed after a few minutes.
When I checked it turned out my sister had moved a corded phone into a different room. My mum had not put the handset back on it properly after using it and the emergency alarm could not dial out.
I will be altering the extension wiring this weekend so this does not happen again.
PeteB

I can second that, having had direct experience of one.
Who do they currently pay line rental to? If they are registered disabled, BT should fit a NTE5a for free.
You need to disconnect the extension wiring from  the Master, connect it to a lead with a plug on, and plug the extension wiring and any local phone in via a doubler to the phone out of the Emergency Call Unit.
Sounds like you've got a 450 mile round trip  Cheesy
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Anotherone
Sounds like you've got a 450 mile round trip  Cheesy

Why the Cheesy ?
I think  Angry is more appropriate!
WWWombat
Grafter

I do the same for my parents - largely as you plan, or has been described.
- Teamviewer (free) is considerably better for my mum to use than anything Microsoft produced. She only needs to know how to start it (we too placed it visibly on the desktop) and read out a 4-digit PIN.
- Remote access into the router, from my static IP
- DynDNS to find them. We've alternated between running it on the PC and within the router, so I'm not sure which is working right now.
WiFi is the weak link, but has seemed pretty bullet-proof so far. For this, we have put the dongle on the end of a USB extension cable that has a switch, so my mum can easily turn the PC's WiFi on & off.
They used to leave the router turned on 24/7, and I could monitor the stats remotely. However, she's gone more eco recently, and wants to turn it off when not being used. It hasn't affected her sync speeds.
The tip about the emergency button wiring is good - I think I might need to check that out at Christmas!
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.