cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link DSL320B Full Bridge Mode vs Centos 6.4 firewall/router

jonfear

D-Link DSL320B Full Bridge Mode vs Centos 6.4 firewall/router

Hi All
I have just moved back to PN from Sky. With Sky I had a DHCP assigned IP which was reported back to my Linux Firewall. The modem would just act as a conduit.
I now have a static IP with PN but my modem is now doing additonal tasks such as NATing and creating pipes which I do not want or need, my linux box should do all of this.
I have set up pppoe on the linux box (Centos 6.4 64 bit) and followed the instructions but for some reason I cannot seem to use the bridge mode on the modem.
I feel sure someone has done all this before and therefore may be able to offer some advice!
Help.....!
The server is a VM Ware virtual machine with 2 ethernet cards, eth0 for the LAN, ETH1 for the WAN. At present ETH1 is set to DHCP to get an IP from the modem.
I am sure I am missing something here...but what?
Thanks
Jon
8 REPLIES 8
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: D-Link DSL320B Full Bridge Mode vs Centos 6.4 firewall/router

What set up did you have with sky? (modem etc)

Just seen you have a dlink DSL320B in full bridge mode.
Can you explain what you changed when you migrated from sky to plus, all you had to change is the pppoe  username and password
IAn

jonfear

Hi Ian
At present the modem is not working in full bridge mode...
The changes were significant.
1. The router obtained a DHCP lease from Sky via the modem, therefore no NATing etc on the modem, just acted as a pass through (Full bridge)
2. Set up now is:
ETH1 Wan side of router set to obtain DHCP lease from modem DHCP pool. Locked down by MAC address.
Modem is using pppoa / pppoe with username and password to connect to PN. This is the same as Sky.
The modem is having to NAT the WAN side of my network otherwise no internet connection pass though the modem. I have had to set up port forwarding on the modem to the WAN ETH1 on router.
Effectively, the modem is acting as a router rather than a straight modem.
I have read somewhere else that I should be able to do a full (IE the modem is transparent) pppoe from my router box, this does not work....maybe something in my settings in the modem or router.
I have a Zoom X3 which was also used on Sky. This gives the same problem as the D-Link.
Jon
dick:quote
ian007jen
Rising Star

Jon
OK.

On the old setup where were the pppoe username and password saved ?

Modem is using pppoa / pppoe with username and password to connect to PN. This is the same as Sky.

just read it again, so the modem has never been in full bridge mode.
My modem is a router in full bridge mode and my wireless router at the other end of the house handles the pppoe connection.
ie no username and password saved on the modem
just looked at this http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DSL/DSL%20320B/Manual/DSL_320b_manual_EN_UK.pdf
page 22 select bridge mode then setup the pppoe in the firewall/router.
Ian
jonfear

Correct.
I have tried it in full bridge this afternoon using 1483 bridged mode but does not work. The modem connects and shows line specs but the pppoe on the centos machine does not authenticate.
Hmmm...
ian007jen
Rising Star

Jon
try using a pc to verify the pppoe connection, have you a pc, mac or linux laptop or desktop?
bridged vc-mux ; VPI = 0 and VCI = 38
IAn
ian007jen
Rising Star

Got it sorted????
jonfear

Hi Ian
Away on site at present, will try this weekend!
Cheers
Jon
jamesbee
Dabbler

Maybe this could be of some help in setting up the D-Link modem:
http://www.jamesbrice.com/articles/misc-articles/102-d-link-dsl-320b-as-bridge-modem
The settings described there are currently working fine for 20CN BT Plusnet ADSL into an Asus RT-N66U PPoE router.