cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link 320B Airport Extreme ADSL2+

webdesignstar

D-Link 320B Airport Extreme ADSL2+

Hi,
I've just moved over to ADSL2 and I'm now having trouble with my setup and plusnet support has suggested that I post here for help.
The problem that I have stems from the lack of PPPoE on the ADSL2 network.
I have an D-Link DSL320B modem and an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station.
The D-Link is quite tricky in that it has a DHCP server built into it and even when you turn it off it still seems to mess with things. So I previously had the D-Link with DHCP turned off and set to "bridge" mode so it effectively became "passive" and I didn't have to set anything and I did everything on the Airport Extreme Base Station - I could fill my log in details to connect via PPPoE to plusnet, and use the DHCP and set up my wireless network - this worked well.
With the loss of PPPoE on ADSL2 my only option is to connect using PPPoA on the D-Link and so have the modem in a normal not bridge mode. I've tried every setting combination I can to get the DLink to play nicely with the AEBS and can't find a solution:
With the DHCP switched on in the DLink and the AEBS set to "bridge" I can only get a single ip connection that everything on the network fights over as the AE seems to convert all traffic to it's own ip and the DHCP on the DLink has already assigned the ip. With the AEBS set to anything else "share a single ip" or full dynamic DHCP/NAT  it just plain refuses to share the internet connection from the modem . WIth the DHCP off on the DLink I also can't get an internet connection via the AEBS.
I'm presuming that DHCP off on the DLink and single shared public IP on the AEBS should be the best setting but it doesn't work.
Does anyone have any experience of a working setup of this equipment?
Many thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: D-Link 320B Airport Extreme ADSL2+

So I previously had the D-Link with DHCP turned off and set to "bridge" mode so it effectively became "passive" and I didn't have to set anything and I did everything on the Airport Extreme Base Station - I could fill my log in details to connect via PPPoE to plusnet, and use the DHCP and set up my wireless network - this worked well.

AFAIK that should still work fine on ADSL2, have you actually tried it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

webdesignstar

Quote from: MisterW
AFAIK that should still work fine on ADSL2, have you actually tried it ?

Hi, yes I just get a continual "Looking for PPPoE host" message from the AEBS and it never connects.
So PPPoE should work okay on plusnet ADSL2 then?
Thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In that mode your modem is bridging pppoe to pppoa so AFAIK the network should see it as a pppoa connection anyway.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

PPPoE works fine on ADSL2 so you would need to set the D-link into bridge mode. Smiley
webdesignstar

Thanks for your help, unfortunately for whatever reason the DLink 230B in bridge mode with DHCP turned off no longer converts the PPPoA to PPPoE for the AEBS to pick up - whereas it did on the old ADSL. I've tried everything I can think of so am about to give up.
Does anyone know of a modem that definitely does bridge to the AEBS on plusnet ADSL2?
Thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Here's a selection of modems http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=1
I'm afraid I have no direct experience of any of them though, I've always used a combined modem router. Hopefully someone with actual experience will come along.
TBH I can't understand why the DSL320 isn't working on ADSL2, is it actually making an ADSL connection i.e synchronising ?