cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting off?

suesykes
Grafter

Cutting off?

Every now n then my connection cuts off.  I have to do a repair on the wireless connection to get it back.
My wireless has an 85% signal and regular d/load speed varies between 60k/s and 200k/s.  I am on 8mb option 2.
Now I am a good distance from the exchange and to be honest didnt expect it to reach me.... About 6 miles give or take a bit!
Is all the above normal, or is it my distance or is it just maybe set wrong?
14 REPLIES 14
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Cutting off?

It depends if the router loses connection to the internet or if it's your computer losing the wireless connection - you should be able to check this by logging on to the router and checking the connection length, usually found on the main router status page. If the router is losing connection you may well need to go through the checks on http://faults.plus.net, if it's the wireless going unfortunately there's not a lot that we can do unless we supplied the router and it's within the 12 month guarantee period.
Hope that helps, please let us know.
fxbronte
Grafter

I am having the same problem, since the 26th October. I have done all sorts of test, ran the faults checker, switch on and off, and the same random disconnections and and a few minutes later re connection, without me doing anything.
During the last 30 minutes:
18:00 ON
18:07 OFF
18:08 ON
18:15 OFF
18:18 ON
18:37 OFF
18:39 ON
18:41 OFF
I makes no difference the time of day or night, or what I am doing, surfing, collecting mail, or dowloading.
I have a voyager 210, and when it goes off,
all the lights freeze
the ethernet light flickers for a few seconds
the Internet and DSL lights go off
the DSL flickers for a few seconds and the on
After a few more seconds the Internet light comes on and it is OK
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's definitely a fault with intermittent sync. Please try unplugging all phones/faxes/anything else from all your phone sockets and testing the connection with just the router or modem in the master socket. If the connection still drops when this is the case you have shown that this is a fault with the line and should raise it to us for investigation via the faults tool at http://faults.plus.net
Hope that helps, please let us know.
fxbronte
Grafter

Thank you MT,
I have done everything you suggested. The cut offs continue. I shall try the fault thing now.
fxbronte
Grafter

Strange!!
I answered the questions at http://faults.plus.net, and all I got at the end was:
Please purchase new hardware to solve your problem    Close Fault.
How can that be, I borrowed a friends modem and I got the same problem? His modem works perfectly well i his house, as mine does in between cut offs.
EDIT Sorry!!. my own fault, I answered aquestion incorrectly.
James
Grafter

That is rather strange.
Can I ask if you have tried changing your microfilters, ensuring that you are connecting via your master socket and where possible unscrewing the faceplate from the master socket and plugging your filter into the test socket?
These things ensure that there isn't some signal loss occurring on your own equipment, which could lead to the problem being experienced.
fxbronte
Grafter

I have changed the micro filters, but I have not done anything at the master socket (an old type).
What I do not understand is I have not changed anything, nothing seems to have failed catastrophically else the connection would fail permanently.
The only thing that  “changed” a few days before I started to have the intermittent disconnections on the 26th October, was that I moved to BBYW and back to PAYG, but I do not see how this can generate a problem at my end, and indeed for a few days after the change back, everything was as before without any problems.
CS support has now replied that they cannot find anything wrong with my line, and to give them details of the disconnections times. I shall try, but apart from the fact that it only appears to happen when there is traffic, eg when surfing, downloading email, or newsgroups, and that appears to be worse at night, although this may be my perception as I used the net more at night..
Frankly I do not know where I go from here, I do accept  that  it is difficult for PN to help/solve an intermittent problem. Because of the randomness of the problem, contacting BT is not really an option, as probably they will say that there is no problem on the line and charge me £200.
Any ideas?. My house is connected to Virgin cable, although I do not use any of their services, but there is an NTL socket from many years ago when cable was installed in my street.
James
Grafter

Hello there,
Intermittent faults can certainly often be difficult to diagnose.
Nothing at your end may have changed and the change in product would certainly not have led to you experiencing disconnections.  I ask about the filters specifically because these are often the most temperamental part of the ADSL setup.  the reason that I mention the test socket, is that will isolate all internal wiring and also mean that you are proving whether or not you have a sustained level of service to your NTE5 (master socket) which is BTs remit for support.
The questions that you are asked by our technical support team, whilst yes, they are a bit of a pain, are the same questions that BT insist on our asking.
If there is not a problem with your filter, your internal wiring or your router, then you will not be charged a callout fee.  this charge is only when BT locate a problem with your equipment. It will be absolutely imperative that BT are contacted otherwise your fault simply won't get fixed.
James
Grafter

Peter,
BT wouldn't be charging in the potential outcome of the fault being caused by the telephone socket as it is not the responsibility of the customer to ensure that this is working.  Namely down to the fact that they are legally not allowed to "play" with it.
James
Grafter

Hi Peter,
If the problem were caused by wiring from the master socket to the router then there would be a potential charge in the same way as if all socket were not filtered and the customer had not tried to see if disconnecting all telephony devices helped to resolve the problem.
fxbronte
Grafter

My Voyager 210 seems to get very hot after half hour. Could this be the cause of the cutting off and on?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you say "very hot" do you mean too hot to place and hold your palm on top of it?
The router does run warm, but not uncomfortably so.
David
suesykes
Grafter

Bit better last night, but still had a dropped connection when i got up.
Whats my chances of havin some FREE download time during the day to make it up a bit, coz to be honest, its starting to niggle me now.
James
Grafter

Hi,
At the risk of my repeating my answer to your question, feel free to view your other thread where I've mentioned that that wouldn't be possible.