Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Support? or not!

Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Customer Support? or not!

Hello
I had some line faults last week leading to a dead line, eventually fixed by Openreach Friday morning. Left me with the following broadband.
DSL Connection 
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 3:15:11
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,052 / 5,916
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 3,072
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.28 / 12.07
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 46.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.5 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 386
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Spoke to very helpful person at Plusnet, said could put through a retrain but we agreed to leave it 72 hours to see what happens.
Said he would call after 12 on Monday, as a follow up. Logged as ticket #45466148.
At 17.10 Monday, with no call received and the router stats showing.
DSL Connection
Uptime: 3 days, 4:22:58
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,080 / 5,828
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 3,072
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.5 / 46.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 134,198
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 40 / 104
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 10 / 690
I thought I would try a controlled reboot, following the instructions from the Plusnet staff on this forum, so not to mess up the exchange profile! Smiley
No change, still stuck at SNR 9dB and Down 3072Kbps  Sad
At 18.15, still no call received, so decided to contact Plusnet.  Huh
Was basically told that I had disconnections before the 72 hours had been reached and router stats did not show the truth.
The 585 log showed a PPP down and up at 11am this morning, when I said I just thought that was the connection to Plusnet and would not affect my exchange
profile I was told this was incorrect.
I was also told my controlled disconnect and reboot was wrong, and had messed everything up, and the only way forward was to start the 72 hours again!  Shocked
And not to rely on the views on this forum.
The Helpline was making me frustrated and a little angry so I left it there.
Am I right to feel a little miffed and quite confused?  Undecided
Did I do the right things?
Any help or suggestions, despite what the support  Crazy person said, greatly appreciated
Derek
6 REPLIES 6
mightysimo

Re: Customer Support? or not!

I tried to call you this evening about this issue but you were unavailable so I left a message for your attention.
Having ran diagnostics on your broadband connection, I can see that there were some restrictions on your broadband service which where limiting your broadband access and throughput speeds. I have reset your line this evening and also changed some other settings on your line which should take affect as of tomorrow.
Should your line remain stable from the work done, we should start to see an increase in throughput speeds within 72 hours.
Stumpy21
Rising Star

Thank you Richard.
Why couldn't the person I spoke to have tried this? Is it a costly procedure?  Sad
At least it would have made me happy that someone had tried, even if it wasn't successful.
But the damage has been done.
I left Orange because of poor customer support and now one person has left me feeling the same about Plusnet.  Cry
I will now have no confidence to ring customer support, should I get a problem in the future, I am also left with the feeling maybe it is me.  Embarrassed
Anyway to complete this thread, router stats today after what I hope was an exchange re-sync this morning.
DSL Connection 
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 3:26:35
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 5,844
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 5,304
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 5.16 / 82.72
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 46.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 6.5
Grin
Derek
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Derek,
It's worth mentioning that Richard works in the Faults department and has no doubt looked in to your connection issues in more depth than a Technical Support agent will be able/trained to do so.  A lot of issues of this kind need to be looked at in an in depth and case by case basis.  Either way, it looks like your sync rate has improved and if this remains stable your IP profile on the BT systems should update allowing a higher speed at your side.
Let us know if you need anyone to give this a second look.
Stumpy21
Rising Star

Quote from: Alex
It's worth mentioning that Richard works in the Faults department and has no doubt looked in to your connection issues in more depth than a Technical Support agent will be able/trained to do so.  A lot of issues of this kind need to be looked at in an in depth and case by case basis.

A pity the person I spoke to on Monday evening wasn't aware of his limitations/training and able to offer to pass this on to someone like Richard then.  Undecided
Derek
lexusuk
Grafter

Agree totally.  As mentioned, I have spoken to the agent involved regarding this.
puddy
Grafter

I feel the same way about phoning PlusNet  and as for raising ticket its seem staff play ping pong with them
Puddy