cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current outage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Current outage

My BB went down 11:00 ish Friday 30th March according to emails received.
BT exchange info
BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN

Still down at 12:15
Finally got through on status line, engaged for ages ... 0800 917 6714 which suggested re-boot
Currently on backup dongle.
Wifi & router now back up, will post this from PN BB connection, fingers crossed x
UPDATE:
BB now back up 12:45 now posting u/d using wifi and PN BB, so it's working again now.
PLUSNET NEEDS AN OFF SITE STATUS PAGE, CONTACT NUMBER ETC THAT CAN BE UPDATED BY YOUR MOBILE PHONES, OR OTHER MEANS, to be accessed by dongle, mobile phones etc
Whilst my T-mobile backup dongle does allow internet access, it is painfully slow
Frogger
Grafter

I'm on Fibre and was affected as well the reports say 20CN  & 21CN only.
I cannot believe this outage was not related to the current round of planned activities in the morning.
Colin
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's always the workman with the blowtorch that sets the roof of the listed building on fire !
beskar
Grafter

Plus People - thanks for info.  As ever, reason for staying with Plus (and recommending to others) is the fact that a) Plus keep people informed and fess up to (most) issues and b) Plus people in general seem more on the ball and communicative generally than those at the other ISPs
One suggestion - I subscribe to the Plus alerts (though of course you ony get them if you are 'up'.  However alerts could do with being divided between 'Major issue' and 'Minor issue' so that you could opt to subscribe to just Major ones.  I get a fair few alerts a week, so tend not to read them.
Ta
Frogger
Grafter

I agree with Beskar, my reason for love of Plusnet is the availability of updates and the good support I receive. In fact I was praising Plusnet for this in the Pub last night, after someone was running down their mobile operators support.
Frogger
ffox
Pro

I read somewhere that  free dial-up numbers can be allocated to customers who are having problems. But the support phones went down at the same time - catch 22!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it feasible to text major problems to users mobile phones, if opted in ?
First Direct, just down the road from PlusNet, regularly send opted in texts.
Is there not a second backup broadband routing path ?
There should be ( maybe there is ) redundancy built into your systems and routings.
In the past, I have setup such systems for Broadcast TV.
Plan for the worst, and hope for the best, was my motto.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Oldjim
From the A&A status 20CN are affected as well

Both 20CN (IPSC) and 21CN (WBC) are affected.
Quote from: Frogger
I'm on Fibre and was affected as well the reports say 20CN  & 21CN only.

Where you read 21CN, you can take that to mean fibre too. Both use the same WBC host links
Quote from: PlusComUK
PLUSNET NEEDS AN OFF SITE STATUS PAGE, CONTACT NUMBER ETC THAT CAN BE UPDATED BY YOUR MOBILE PHONES, OR OTHER MEANS, to be accessed by dongle, mobile phones etc

Why don't you subscribe to receive Service Status updates via RSS/Email or follow us on Twitter? All are easily accessible from a mobile phone (see my sig for details).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Is there not a second backup broadband routing path ?

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1333108986.htm
We are starting to see customers coming back online via alternative routes however the root cause of the problem remains unresolved. Our suppliers have given an estimated fix time of 13:30 today.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Bob

Why don't you subscribe to receive Service Status updates via RSS/Email or follow us on Twitter? All are easily accessible from a mobile phone (see my sig for details).

Hi Bob,
I already receive Service Status updates via RSS/Email. ( which don't work when the PN BB is down !)
Only the planned ones sent before BB goes down.!

My mobile is not a smart phone, just a bog standard text & talk phone, and
I would like major status updates and service outages with NO action required on my part!
I alternate my internet usage with watching TV, so an auto heads up would be nice, without spending quite a while trying to find out what the problem is.
0800 status line was no help, being understandably permanently engaged.
Similarly, I cannot get twitter or facebook on my mobiles at any time, nor on computer when BB is down...
BTW I use an Apple iMac, so PlusNet Assist doesn't work for me.
Despite phoning all your contact numbers which were constantly engaged, understandably, including the status one, I only found out what was happening when I dug out my old, slow dongle and fired that up.

BT exchange info
BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think the only option then that covers your specific requirements would be to offer service status updates via text. However this would undoubtedly be seen as spam by a massive majority of our customers, so it'd have to be an opt-in service.
Is this something any other people would be interested in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, an excellent idea, and as I mentioned, an opt-in service is preferable.
Just one message length please. 140 - 160 chr$
Best to have a no reply service, unless you want to be inundated with "when will it be back on" texts !!
And it can be setup to show originator as PlusNet (Status)
Two texts, first with "problem", second with "problem sorted".
RobDickson
Grafter

Similarly, I cannot get twitter or facebook on my mobiles at any time, nor on computer when BB is down...

If you can send and receive text messages, you can use Twitter on your phone.
I would like major status updates and service outages with NO action required on my part!

How about receiving a text message from Twitter whenever PlusNet sends a Tweet? Sounds like an easy solution to me.
ISanych

Quote from: Rob

If you can send and receive text messages, you can use Twitter on your phone.

How about receiving a text message from Twitter whenever PlusNet sends a Tweet? Sounds like an easy solution to me.

I see around 50 tweets today. It doesn't look like a good solution to me.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How much would Plusnet be charged for texts - at 10p per text and say 50.000 customers signed up that makes £5,000 per time