cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current line speed 0.3Mb :(

rebeccabg
Dabbler

Current line speed 0.3Mb :(

Our broadband has been consistently slow since we were connect two weeks ago. We've waited the 10 day settling period but there's been no improvement. I've checked our line speed in the Plusnet member centre tonight and it's stating 0.3Mb. Please could someone look into this?

32 REPLIES 32
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Current line speed 0.3Mb :(

Hey @rebeccabg,

Sorry to hear you're seeing lower than expecting broadband speeds 😕

Would you mind sending me your account username in a private message please, and I'll take a look at your line for you.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @rebeccabg

I've tested your line and it's currently performing within the estimates. The connection is in sync at 1.1Mbps and the estimates are 1-5Mbps.

Having said this, there a few errors on the line that could potentially be caused by internal wiring.

Could you confirm that you're connected directly to the master socket and also if you have an extension sockets connected? It may also be worth connecting via the test socket by removing the faceplate from the master socket.

While looking over this, I've also noticed that FTTP is available in your area, so it may be worth considering looking in to our FTTP Trial (More information on this can be found over at http://trials.plus.net)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

If the OP is close enough to the cabinet/exchange to be offered FTTP then obviously there is a fault causing a synch speed of only 1.1Mbps that is unlikely to be cleared by changing to FTTP. Either the pair out from the cabinet is rubbish or something is seriously wrong at the customer premises. As indicated in the 1st part of the above reply please test your modem in the test socket AND also from there use a phone and try the quiet line test on 17070 there should be no substantial hum or crackles, if there is either, report it.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@hitchhiker43 You are completely wrong there, FTTP is fibre directly to your house and is the fastest and most reliable broadband connection you could possibly wish for. It doesn't use the copper telephone line at all. I wish I could get it as it is available a few hundred yards from my house, I shouldn't complain too much as I do have full sync speeds on my 80/20 FTTC connection.Smiley

rebeccabg
Dabbler

Hi @HarryB, thanks for the reply. I have tried the test socket and that has improved things a bit. I've run a speed test via ethernet cable and that's giving a download speed of 1.5Mbs (the Plusnet page says our line speed is now 0.8Mb). The phone line sounds fine.

We've tried it for 24 hours but are still struggling to stream any sort of video (radio is a bit iffy too) so maybe we'll consider the trial. We only need maybe 2 or 3Mb (which is what we had in the old house) so its frustrating having to pay so much more just to get the extra meg or two!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Rebecca,

A warm welcome to the forums.  It would be useful to get a baseline for your perceived problems.

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rebeccabg
Dabbler

Hi @Townman, thanks for looking into this further. Here's the information you asked for:

PN current line speed 0.8Mb

Exchange Information  

Distance:- Direct:    4.3 km
  (appx)* By Road: 6.1 km
  Status  
ADSL enabled: June 30, 2001
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (ADSL2+) Enabled
  21CN due : (PSTN) Info N/A
FTTC Not available
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
Broadband Access Market Broadband Access Market 3
BT price band BTw Pricing Band Band C

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

WBC FTTP Upto 330 Upto 30 -- Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 1 to 3 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U            

Statistics -- xDSL

Mode: ADSL_2plus    
Traffic Type: ATM    
Link Power State: L0    

Downstream Upstream    
Line Coding(Trellis): On On    
SNR Margin (1 dB): 5.9 5.8    
Attenuation (1 dB): 70.5 40.8    
Output Power (1 dBm): 0.0 12.6    
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 1660 820    

Path 0   Path 1  
  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 1623 807 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 65 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 50 25 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 1 1 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 0 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.9855 0.9904 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 414 210 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 1 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 0 0 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 0.00 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 0 0 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 1908 398 0 0
RS Words: 0 726117 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 2071 201 0 0
OCD Errors: 4 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 4 0 0 0
Total Cells: 480764699 238856466 0 0
Data Cells: 27290591 4635570 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 20723 0 0

Total ES: 752 288    
Total SES: 27 0    
Total UAS: 69 53    

BT wholesale test:

Download speed 0.4

Upload speed 0.59

Ping latency 0.00

Further Diagnostics:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.45 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.43 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.65Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault. 

It's asking to change router settings which I don't have time to do now, but how's it looking so far?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@HarryB Given the attenuation the other stats are reasonable but the Plusnet Current Line Speed needs sorting as it should be 1.4 not 0.3 and the sync speed isn't as Plusnet saw

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Oldjim wrote:

Plusnet Current Line Speed needs sorting as it should be 1.4 not 0.3 and the sync speed isn't as Plusnet saw

While I agree 0.3 was too low, I actually bumped this up to 1.1 in line with the 1.1Mbps sync speed of the line (If anything this was too high as it matched the sync) however it's actually irrelevant on this account and shouldn't have any adverse effect on the speeds.

Since my last comment, a speed delta reported dropped it to 0.8Mbps.

My main concerns on my last reply were the errored seconds on the upstream and less of them on the downstream but they were still there. Testing this morning shows less on the upstream and none on the downstream, with an increased sync from 1.1Mbps to 1.6Mbps.

For peace of mind, I've also bumped the workplace profile to 1.4Mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@rebeccabg Apart from having to be present when the OpenReach engineer installs the Optical Network Termination (ONT) box there is currently no extra cost when joining the PlusNet FTTP trial. The products / prices are based on the FTTC offerings.

So you could easily get 38 down 2 up.

Brian

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

RealAleMadrid

Not completely wrong, only wrong in that the copper would be replaced, but the fact remains if fibre is available then something is seriously wrong with the copper not to provide good service, I rest my case Smiley

Wowww 70dB line attenuation, how is that close enough to the exchange/cabinet for FTTP ??????

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Yet again you are talking nonsense, the Op has a very long line with a downstream attenuation of over 70dB, there is nothing seriously wrong with the copper it is probably around 3 miles long and to get any decent ADSL speed at that distance is difficult if not impossible.

The OP is lucky that fibre is available because of the poor ADSL speeds, I would not hesitate to go for the FTTP trial.

Edit: You also don't appear to understand what FTTP is. It doesn't need a cabinet, the phone line attenuation is irrelevant as it is not used for FTTP. The fibre connects directly to an exchange which can be many miles away and is often not the local exchange.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@rebeccabg,

Thank for all of the stats.  Others have said all that can be said...

Attenuation 70dB - that's a very long line, you are lucky to get any ADSL signal at all, even on a perfect line.

All of the synch and profile figures seem about right, though the comments about error rates might point to a RFI (electrical interference) problem - which you could investigate but will take time and effort.  Such will cause speed variability.

To be honest you would be better off upgrading to FTTP which will be super fast, for (due to your line length) you are never going to see anything better on ADSL no matter which ISP you turn to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

Yet again you are talking nonsense.

Edit: You also don't appear to understand what FTTP is. It doesn't need a cabinet, the phone line attenuation is irrelevant as it is not used for FTTP.

Are you always such a nice person to have a conversation with!

I see now the line is very long, I did miss that earlier and perhaps you could have pointed that out in a better way.