Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Line Speed

MarkC
Grafter

Current Line Speed

Hi,

current line speed is showing as 4.2, router syncing at 7.3 - can someone in support update the settings to improve the line speed?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Current Line Speed

Your Current Line Speed is based on what BT Wholesale report that your telephone exchange thinks your broadband connection download can support, and is NOT necessarily related to the sync speed that you see on your router.

What does the BT Wholesale Performance Test [Further Diagnostics] report as the "IP profile for your line" ?

as that is the figure that Plusnet will need to update your Current Line Speed, if the system has got stuck.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought that the IP profile was entirely based on what line rate your modem is currently connected at. If it's 4.2, it must be on the 88.2% system. Sometimes it takes a few days for the profile updates to end up at Plusnet.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It is not entirely clear if / in what circumstances the PN profile has any bearing on lines / is updated for lines it does not apply to.

If I correctly understood comments from @Gandalf the Plusnet IP figure (current speed) only has an affect on 20CN and fixed IP address users.

There is some possibility that the observation here is a red herring.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MarkC
Grafter

Phone line is fine - had bt engineer out 6 weeks ago to replace wire from wall entry point to master socket. After that line was perfect (and still is), sync was 7+ but line profile was .12. One of CS picked it up and sorted it for me - following that the profile was 6.5 (from memory). Current line profile is 4.2.

Connection was up and down for about a week a couple of weeks back, but was solid at 4ish for the last week, then following a reboot of the router has been solid at 7.3 for the last day and a half.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If you are seeking further assistance from other forum members, please can you provide full router stats, full BT speed test results (further diagnostics) and the Plusnet line profile using the links provided, all taken at the same time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman wrote:

It is not entirely clear if / in what circumstances the PN profile has any bearing on lines / is updated for lines it does not apply to.

Point accepted.

Can you bring this up at your Superuser's meetings, as it is hopeless trying to second guess how these things now work, especially when trying to help diagnose complex problems when Plusnet staff are not responding to customer's questions.

A second point for the next Superuser's meeting, why have the forum staff disappeared, or lurk without posting ?.  I did wonder whether this would happen when the Superuser scheme was announced.

Thanks

MarkC
Grafter

My current line speed has now updated to 6.4 Mb - if that was as a result of a tweak by customer support then my thanks go to them.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Mark.

My current line speed has now updated to 6.4 Mb - if that was as a result of a tweak by customer support then my thanks go to them.

It looks like automation has increased the profile by itself.

If I correctly understood comments from @Gandalf the Plusnet IP figure (current speed) only has an affect on 20CN and fixed IP address users.

That's correct.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet