cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Line Speed stuck

harrybigby

Current Line Speed stuck

Hello,

My throughput speed has remained around 2.35 - 2.4Mbps for quite some time, given the reported connection speed from my router of 5856kbps  and a BT speedtest reporting an IP profile of 4.5Mbps  I was wondering if this could be investigated for e.g. a possible 'stuck' bRAS profile and/or a DLM reset performed? I note that there is no estimated line speed currently held on my Plusnet account.

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Current Line Speed stuck

Apologies for the delayed response.

I can see somebody attempted to reset the line for you on the 3rd but I'm not sure if it went through correctly.

I've replaced the reset and fingers crossed it gives you a higher speed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
harrybigby

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for authorising another reset, unfortunately it didn't go as hoped. On the Saturday we optimised the SNR margin on our connection then got in touch with the support staff using the chat function to request a reset. This went well and the rated speed jumped from 2.5Mb to 6Mb. The SNR margin was then increased to improve stability and we waited for the IP profile to train up from 4.5Mbps to 5 or hopefully 5.5.
The reset on Tuesday afternoon caused the connection to be lost and the router could not reconnect stably, at a point when we were trying to follow the volatility of the Dow Jones index. My son came over and increased the margin above what has been historically stable until the connection would hold, but we were without internet access for some time and the net result of the process was to drop the fixed rate of data that Plusnet will supply back down to 3.5Mbps.

What I'm hoping is that the value can be manually set to 6Mb again without having to go through the training procedure a third time, would this be possible? We are connected to a rural exchange with technically obsolete ADSL Max hardware and the cellular reception is such that voice calls can be patchy and data use practically impossible, so getting the best we can out of our land line is important to us. There was no issue at our end with having a line speed estimate of 6Mb and an IP profile of 4.5 over the weekend or on Monday.

Lastly, I would be interested to know if possible why this provider setting overrides the dynamic IP profile assigned by BT and why it seems to be so hard to find. We had been capped at 2.5Mb by the Plusnet line rating since perhaps last July before I eventually discovered the page specifying this setting, and to date I haven't discovered a method of accessing this page from the member centre, I've been getting to it by going to Help > Broadband > General Broadband Help > Broadband speed estimates > see your current speed estimate. It seems like the current configuration risks limiting the customer's line speed unnecessarily, which surely benefits no one.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why was any kind of DLM reset even done in this case? The BT Speedtester was showing the IP Profile of 4.5, all Plusnet needed to do was manually change their Current Line Speed to match the BT IP Profile. Changing the Current Line Speed does not require anything to be done to your ADSL connection.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@harrybigby Unfortunately due to the age of the technology in your exchange the BT IP profile can take time to update.

We can request they update it quicker than the normal 72 hours but this isn't always possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team