Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Line Speed query

starfire
Dabbler

Current Line Speed query

Just a query, in the Member Centre it says for my connection:
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
74.4 Mb
The description for Current line speed shown there is "The speed shown above is based on your sync speed. This is always a little higher than the speed at which data will actually be downloaded over your broadband connection."
Yet conducting a BTW performance test shows:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 39.73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-42.14 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 42.14 Mbps

So, shouldn't Current Line Speed report as around 45Mbps ?
12 REPLIES 12
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Current Line Speed query

IIRC ip profile is generally your sync speed  and the max throughput is always a touch lower, the best way to test the actual speed of the line is a tap 3 test run at 0300 sunday on a clear warm night without precipitation and a nothing more than a light breeze.....
because traditionally its the time when the least amount of traffic will be flowing but for real world testing tap3 removes all isp based equipment from the equation so don't do it during peek times, peak time tests are always congested and lower
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Current line Speed is supposed to be updated to follow the BT IP profile and should be slightly rounded down from the IP profile.
The IP profile (on FTTC) is the sync speed divided by 1.033 (on 21CN ADSL it's 88.2% of sync) so the 'Current Line Speed' is based indirectly on the sync speed (as long as the automatic updating is working correctly).
See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.0.html (which applies to 21CN ADSL(X) and FTTC)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just as w23 says. FYI (even if you know what it means) you can't run a Tap3 test these days unless you download speed is seriously low - BT have been "fixing" the Speedtester Roll_eyes
nanotm
Pro

Oo
I ran 1 the other day when my speed was crunching 5meg down but 16 up, but it let me run it again (perhaps because I use my own router not the Technicolor one) latter to check after the speed cap had been lifted as well (and by the other day I mean Thursday when I had zero problems)
w23
Pro

If I'm not mistaken then the tap3 test is available on FTTC only if the download in the previous test is less than 16Mb/s (this would presumably not apply to those FTTC lines with a low 'normal' speed) so if you got a 5Mb/s down test then you would be offered the tap3.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

hmm it seems that they have indeed removed the option to run the tap3 test.
clearly with a connection speed of over 40 meg the customer will be on some sort of fibre as adsl 2+ only goes up to 20meg .....
as I said 4 days ago I ran the test even though I had a speed report of 70 meg download but maybe it was down to having recorded a download of 5meg the previous day
starfire
Dabbler

Quote from: w23
Current line Speed is supposed to be updated to follow the BT IP profile and should be slightly rounded down from the IP profile.
The IP profile (on FTTC) is the sync speed divided by 1.033 (on 21CN ADSL it's 88.2% of sync) so the 'Current Line Speed' is based indirectly on the sync speed (as long as the automatic updating is working correctly).
See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.0.html (which applies to 21CN ADSL(X) and FTTC)

OK, so I guess the only issue in my case then is that my Current Line Speed is not being updated to follow the BT IP Profile - guess it's not a major concern unless it messes up the traffic prioritisation that plusnet do?
w23
Pro

Yes, it can upset the traffic management - if, for example, you are using VOIP and you start downloading a large file (from a source capable of providing your full speed) then VOIP would suffer, with the correct Current Line Speed then the VOIP call would be 'protected' and the download slightly throttled to allow this.
Probably worth posting on the end of the linked topic to request a 'prod' on your Plusnet Profile (Current Line Speed).
Call me 'w23'
starfire
Dabbler

I'll do that, thanks.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi starfire,
Your profile is now set to the correct value, it should always be slightly below your sync rate.
starfire
Dabbler

How long does it take to get reflected on the Member Centre as it still shows 74.4Mb ?
w23
Pro

You may need to disconnect / reconnect though the router interface to see the change (I think) - no harm to try this on FTTC.
Call me 'w23'