cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious (almost cyclical) speed problem

BertCoules
Grafter

Curious (almost cyclical) speed problem

For the past two or three days my connection speed has been hugely variable: at its maximum for short stretches -  approximately ten minutes or so - when navigation is fast and page-loading faultless, then dropping to virtually zero for similar lengths of time.  I haven't accurately measured the "cycles" but they certainly do alternate very regularly.
Is this likely to be BT fault, a PlusNet problem, or something wrong with my PC/router setup?
Many thanks,
Bert Coules
6 REPLIES 6
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Curious (almost cyclical) speed problem

i believe you would have to post your router stats , also try a speedtest or two to check what is happening
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Duplicate post removed
BertCoules
Grafter

Thanks for removing the duplicate post.  I'm not sure how to access the router stats - is the information on this site anywhere?  Speed permitting, I'll check.  Speed test done just now (during an up cycle) was 3825/374.  During a down cycle I can't even get to the speedtest page, it just times out.
Bert
BertCoules
Grafter

OK, I found out how to do it.  Here's the result, just obtained during the current up cycle:
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:11:56
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,084 / 4,576
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,480
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 7.91
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.5 / 46.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 8.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 22,031
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 82
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 268
Current line speed: 4Mb
BT Beta speed test:  Down 3.77 Mbps, Up 0.37 Mbps, Ping latency 40.13ms
All this via the test socket
Bert
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hello Bert, well you found most of the right information. The BT Speedtester (Diagnostic) would be the best one to run for this purpose because it gives the IP Profile for the line. Please stay plugged into the Test socket unless you've moved again.
Do you normally leave your modem/router on 24/7?
From now on, I recommend that whenever you need to reboot/resync or swap anything - use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. 
Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
Also note, you can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
This is where you can effectively change the "channel" that you are connected to at the Plusnet end and doesn't cause a resync with the exchange. There maybe all sorts of reasons you may want to do this from download speed issues to pages not loading, lots of lag, etc.
Looking at those stats suggests that you may have a lot of interference/noise on your line. Can you hear any crackling noises when using the phone?
BertCoules
Grafter

Anotherone, many thanks for your detailed reply.  I'm away for the rest of today but will do as you suggest when I return and report back.  Yes, I noticed the highish S/N figure, but my phone line sounds perfectly clear at the moment (though it was noisy a month or so ago and reported to BT who fixed the problem - at least, the noise stopped, though maybe there's a lingering after-effect of some sort).
Oh, and yes, the router (like the PC) is on pretty much continuously. It's only switched off if I'm away from home for more than a day or two.