cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crippling speed

maddyandadam

Crippling speed

Hi,
I suspect I'll need some guidance on how to the get to the bottom of this so any help will be much appreciated.
I have been having speed trouble with Plusnet since moving into my current property (over a year ago) and nothing seems to be solving the issue for any great length of time.
I use a Draytek Vigor 120 modem into the master socket which is then connected to an Apple Airport Extreme as my router. I chose to replace the Plusnet router as I thought this may have been the issue and I also wanted to use the Airport Extreme for its backup facility and better signal coverage,
At first the speed increased but now I'm back to cripplingly low speeds (approx 3Mbps D/L) and can't even stream content most of the time.
I daresay I'll need some line stats but I'm not sure how to get these with my current configuration so any guidance there would be great. My router is on I.P.10.0.1.1 for some reason - could this be part of the issue?
Many thanks in advance!
Adam
17 REPLIES 17
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Crippling speed

I've done a few line tests and I'd expect you to see better speeds.
I'd like to see if the sync rate changes when you are in the master/test socket. Do you have noise on the phone line at all?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
maddyandadam

Thanks for the response Tony - is there a way to test for noise on the line?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Dial 17070 for a quiet line test is your best bet.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
maddyandadam

A quiet test showed no noise at all, so the line seems clear.
Is there anything else I should try?
Thanks.
dabba
Grafter

Hope you get sorted Adam, some great support on this forum (unlike the ticket system) really helpfull people. mine is improving leaps and bounds with the help and advice given.   
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Anne,
With comments like that, we had better see how Adam can be assisted.

Adam,
Reading the description of the Vigor 120, it sounds like a solution looking for a problem!  Vigor describes it a s a "unique" product and along with such one gets "unique" problems like not easily being able to access ADSL diagnostic information as is readily proffered by "normal" products.
Vigor's support page here - http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads - might help.  Reading the manual, it states that the web interface is available on http://192.168.2.1
The manual is scant on information, limited to configuring the PPPoA for non-standard ISPs.  I suggest that you take a look and see if you can "get in to it".  Given that the device only hands over to the connected device the external IP address, I do not understand how one is going to be able to access that interface.
To move this forward through other customer's help on the forums, we need the ADSL stats.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maddyandadam

Thanks Townman - from what I gather (from Vigor 120 forums) it seems that I'll need to take an ethernet straight into the computer from the modem to get into the web interface and see the stats so I'll try that. That would then negate the router (Apple Airport Extreme) but at least I'll have some data to look at.
As it stands, http://192.168.2.1 doesn't go anyway - presumably because it's 'hiding' behind the router.
Sorry if it's a silly question but what does AFSL stand for when looking for stats?
Thanks again!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: maddyandadam
Sorry if it's a silly question but what does AFSL stand for when looking for stats?

Sorry on my part - typo - should be ADSL stats!  Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maddyandadam

Ok, I plugged straight into the Vigor 120 modem and got into the web interface.
The stats it gives are:
Online Status
System Status System Uptime: 792:56:11
LAN Status Primary DNS: 194.109.6.66 Secondary DNS: 168.95.1.1
  IP Address TX Packets RX Packets
  192.168.2.1 105758611 79746402
ADSL Information      ( ADSL Firmware Version:  321311_A)
  ATM Statistics TX Cells RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
  290443778 2758490158 0 10030
  ADSL Status Mode State     Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
  ADSL2(G.992.3) SHOWTIME 440000 3772627          7               52
This means very little to me! Any thoughts...
Thanks!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Adam,
Relevant to the question, your line is running slower than the attenuation suggests it might perform.  The SNRM is an odd figure, rather suggesting that the target is 9dB which is higher than normal.
Can you please repost the same stats taken tomorrow morning after day light - WITHOUT DOING A REBOOT of the modem.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@maddyandadam
The DNS servers aren't Plusnet's...
C:\Users\Brian>nslookup 194.109.6.66
Name:    resolver.xs4all.nl
Address:  194.109.6.66
C:\Users\Brian>nslookup 168.95.1.1
Name:    dns.hinet.net
Address:  168.95.1.1
Hinet.net appears to be a known spamming domain. Can you see if you can change the DNS servers? If you can set them to Auto/obtain from ISP then you should get two of the Plusnet DNS server addresses assigned.
Your modem is also connecting on ADSL2 rather than ADSL2+ and you have your upstream capped.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Brian,
Thanks for picking up on the US synch speed - I'd seen that but forgot when I wrote my response.
As for adsl2 vs adsl2+ on that line I doubt it will make any difference.
Kevin

maddyandadam

Hi,
I haven't been able to get stats on a morning due to work but here are the most recent stats - taken just now:
System Status System Uptime: 839:43:48
LAN Status Primary DNS: 194.109.6.66 Secondary DNS: 168.95.1.1
  IP Address TX Packets RX Packets
  192.168.2.1 107241611 80710284
ADSL Information      ( ADSL Firmware Version:  321311_A)
  ATM Statistics TX Cells           RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
  293374313 2785273216    0          10225
  ADSL Status Mode State     Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
  ADSL2(G.992.3) SHOWTIME 440000 3772627               7             52
Any ideas on why my DNS would be anything other than Plusnet's?Huh
Thanks again!
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: maddyandadam
Any ideas on why my DNS would be anything other than Plusnet's?Huh

Most modem/routers have two options when it comes to DNS; either obtain automatically from ISP, or specify servers to use. Yours appears to be set to the latter.
There's a thread from a few weeks ago which helpfully shows Vigor 120 screenshots, and this post shows where the DNS is configured - have a look on yours to see if those DNS settings show the IP addresses that you have reported, and if so, just blank them out and save the settings. Looks like that should then pick up Plusnet's own DNS, or you can try alternatives if you know what you are doing.