cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card + Bank Account Standing Orders.

Norappy
Dabbler

Credit Card + Bank Account Standing Orders.

I am new to Plusnet. (Regretting my transfer from Tiscali already)., This may have been discussed before.Can anyone please tell me why it is that Plusnet need Standing Orders with, both my Credit card details, and my Bank Account details in order to gain payment for what is a light Broadband/telephone  Account., I do not like using my Bank Account for any on-line transactions.
My phone limit is £55 and my useage in the region of £4 on each of the 2 monthly bills that I have recieved to date ???.
If this post is in the wrong forum, would a moderator kindly place it in the correct one. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
hadden
Grafter

Re: Credit Card + Bank Account Standing Orders.

Note that it is probably a "Direct Debit" rather than a "Standing Order". Apart from other differences, Direct Debits payments can vary in value month to month, but a Standing Order has fixed value payments.
At signup time you should have been offered choices of payment method, with reasons for each choice.
I can't recall all of the choices but one is to use direct debit for all payments (ie no credit card payments), in which case only your Bank Account details would be required.
However, you would have to wait for the Direct Debit authorisation to be processed before your new account can be started. So, to allow your account to be opened without that initial delay, Plusnet offer to take your first monthly payment immediately by Credit Card (as that can be authorised immediately) with all the following payments to be taken using the Direct Debit.
In that case, both the Credit Card and Bank Account details are required.
However, now that you are up and running, I believe you could ask to have the credit card details removed and just leave the direct debit instruction, as this is what I did.
Norappy
Dabbler

Thanks for your swift, and helpful response John. I,ll  sort it out after X Factor Smiley Smiley
decomplexity
Rising Star

Quote from: JohnJ
...you could ask to have the credit card details removed and just leave the direct debit instruction

True, and may be OK for you, but can bite you in the b*m if you also have annual charges for hosted domains: for reasons which are still unclear (since a direct debit can be a varying amount) these charges can only be taken from a debit or credit card and not via direct debit.
A year or so ago, I came within a few hours of having my account closed because of this (PN's 'you owe us money' emails were never sent to me because of some admin or system cockup).   
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It doesn't seem to worry PN too much, in August they managed to take double what they should have done on my DD
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: decomplexity
True, and may be OK for you...

Well, OK at the moment.
I've share your puzzlement when they insist that ad-hoc charges like the P&P for a router must be on credit card.
Here I was just keeping it simple for a new user with what seems like simple requirements.