cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of "Fix" dates come and gone but still low speed Internet

CHMike

Couple of "Fix" dates come and gone but still low speed Internet

I have a PlusNet Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb account
Over a month ago I was advised to wait for BT to fix the VP condition "Red" state at the local exchange. A couple of these Fix dates have come and gone, with no improvement in the exchange state, or my Internet speed. The speed has been excellent in the past, so it must be possible to return to that happy state.
I'm 1.91km from my local exchange as the crow flies.
This morning I again followed the Plusnet advised speed test procedures which showed:
BTspeedtester:
IP Profile: 4000 kbps
DSL connection rate:
4864 kbps (Down)
448kbps (Up)
Actual IP throughput during test: 2494 kbps
Plusnet/MyBroadbandSpeed

781 kbps (Down)
175 kbps (Up)
Router Stats
(taken from both normal router location and direct connection to master test socket)
Data rate: Up 448Kbps; Down 5056 Kbps
SNR: Up 24dB; Down 12dB
Attenuation: Up 26.5dB; Down 44dB
The attenuation seems high compared with my distance from the exchange
The SNR seems poor too.
Can anyone please suggest an effective course of action?
--
Regards,
CHMike
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: Couple of "Fix" dates come and gone but still low speed Internet

Hi Mike,
Your attenuation is roughly what I'd expect it to be.  Also the SNR isn't that bad and ultimately you're seeing throughput well below your data rate, so the SNR isn't going to be causing that.
What sort of speeds are you seeing outside peak times of the day (ie: before 10am and after 9pm)?
zubel
Community Veteran

Mismatch of throughput on BT speedtester and the PN Speedtester = Mismatched MTU/RWIN values!
Try following The RWIN tweaking video remembering to reboot your computer after making any changes using DrTCP
(Assuming you're running XP)
B.
CHMike

Thanks for the reply James,
Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Mike,
Your attenuation is roughly what I'd expect it to be.  Also the SNR isn't that bad and ultimately you're seeing throughput well below your data rate, so the SNR isn't going to be causing that.
What sort of speeds are you seeing outside peak times of the day (ie: before 10am and after 9pm)?

Pretty much the same I think, though probably somewhat better. I'll check again at those times and let you know.
How would the attenuation and SNR relate to the "Red" congestion level at the exchange?
--
Regards,
CHMike
zubel
Community Veteran

SNR and Sync won't be affected by a Red exchange capacity status, only your throughput would be.
The 12dB SNR indicates you have a slightly noisy line.
B.
CHMike

Quote from: Barry
Mismatch of throughput on BT speedtester and the PN Speedtester = Mismatched MTU/RWIN values!
Try following The RWIN tweaking video remembering to reboot your computer after making any changes using DrTCP
(Assuming you're running XP)
B.

Thanks Barry I'll follow your advice. I'm having the same problem on 3 different computer though, so it seems a bit less likely that it'll be individual settings. Stranger things have happened though. Last time I asked about this problem you suggested that it was caused by the "Red" exchange condition. The exchange is still pretty much in the same state according to the available information. I don't currently know if  my recent tests and stats indicate the exchange as being the bottleneck.
--
Regards,
CHMike
zubel
Community Veteran

It may be a "Red" herring, and the BT Speedtester may have just been having a good day when you did the speed test.
However, it is worth a try Smiley
B.