Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of power cuts - Interleaving and delay increased massively FTTC

xreyuk
Grafter

Couple of power cuts - Interleaving and delay increased massively FTTC

I monitor my connection using DSL stats and an unlocked HG612
Over the past 2 days, we've had to have the power off three times. Unfortunately this has lead to DLM massively increasing my interleaving (over doubling it) and increasing ping times largely. I did notice errors increase quite largely after the first power cut though.
Is there anything we can do to force DLM back, because obviously these are genuine disconnects by me, and there is not a fault on the line. Personally I think DLM has been VERY aggressive.
Please advise.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Couple of power cuts - Interleaving and delay increased massively FTTC

unfortunately no there isn't - you will just have to wait for DLM to do its thing
I am surprised that 3 power cuts would have done that by itself
AndyH
Grafter

How many ES/SES did you see?
The power off a few times wouldn't be enough alone to see DLM intervene.
xreyuk
Grafter

I'll have to check back through the logs and see. The SES was very low, the ES, if I remember my calculations was around 0.1% of the total available seconds.
The errors started after the first power off of the HG612.
xreyuk
Grafter

It turns out that my new power line adapters had caused massive interference and cause huge errors on the line. Now I've taken them out, errors are back to where they were before.
Unfortunately I was too late, DLM has put me on a banded 35Mbps profile (line is capable of 51Mbps according to stats, but I usually had 45Mbps). It has reduced interleaving but not delay.
I'm assuming nothing can be done about this and I have to wait?
Can the staff comment?
hex
Grafter

I went through a similar experience and the line recovered by itself over the space of a few weeks - as long as you are not getting too many ES/SES I imagine yours should recover fairly quickly also (you can mostly ignore FEC since they are just a consequence of interleaving being on).
What brand were the homeplugs just out of interest?
AndyH
Grafter

@ Xreyuk - You have to wait (PN can't do anything). Here's a guide to DLM for FTTC http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
xreyuk
Grafter

Thought as much 
They were TP-Link ones. Never had a problem with their stuff but it was obvious these were the problem. Since I've removed them, massive difference in errors.
My fear is that DLM will get stuck and will not take me off the banded profile!
hex
Grafter

Homeplugs were BT ones in my case - I wonder how many more out there are suffering from deteriorated connections caused by their use. 😕
Hopefully you should see your line stats starting to improve in the next few days. Wink
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Homeplugs is very bad. I used to have Netgear Homeplugs and can see FTTC errors is too high. Removed it off. Use ethernet cable instead and FTTC errors is now less!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have a more fundamental question
How or why do Homeplugs seem to increase the error rate significantly when they shouldn't even be connected to the modem other than via the modem power supply
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@ oldjim. U can try plugged in homeplug and watch the FTTC errors count! Watch it before and after.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That doesn't answer or address the question of how or why not whether
Why does this seem to be specific to fibre
chenks76
All Star

i can only assume they mean the router is connected to the modem via homeplugs.
hex
Grafter

It is a good question - my first guess would be that it affects FTTC more than ADSL due to the range of frequencies in use.  It would be interesting to see the bit loading graphs of anyone using homeplugs without any problems just to see how they compare - perhaps the connection of those unaffected is not using particular tones or perhaps it is something else completely (attached mine for reference).
Some people have reported improvements using ferrite beads around the power/line connections on the modem although I have tried that and it did not seem to make any difference here.  After trying out various things the solution for me was just to run a long length of ethernet cable and do away with them completely. Wink
@chenks76
No (in my case anyway) the router is not connected to the modem via homeplugs - as Oldjim infers the only 'connection' is the power input (and the ethernet connection from modem -> router, then router -> homeplug).