cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this message relate to something wrong or wrongly set up in my router?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Could this message relate to something wrong or wrongly set up in my router?

On first boot the Windows Event Log throws up error
The HomeGroup Listener service terminated with service-specific error %%-2147023143
I am wondering if might have something to do with how my 582n is set up.
Comments please.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Could this message relate to something wrong or wrongly set up in my router?

HomeGroup is an idea that came in with Windows 7; sort of Networking for Dummies.  I think it is very unlikely that the problem is anything to do with your router unless it's a lost connection to the router - which would manifest in more obvious ways.
Luzern
Hero

Re: Could this message relate to something wrong or wrongly set up in my router?

I suppose I could be within the dummy spectrum, though I have managed to set things up for a mix of wired and wireless connections. As it is the error seems to give no trouble, so I will leave be.
Thanks for reaasurance. Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
AndyH
Grafter

Is this the only Windows 7/8 PC on your network?

Edit: Also make sure the Windows Firewall service is running (Start > Run > services.msc  then find Windows Firewall service and make sure it is set to automatic and is running).
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Luzern
Hero

Thanks for posts!
Usually sole computer, but very occasionally relatives have visited with their laptops.
As to Windows firewall, since I have another software firewall ( and doesn't 582n router also have one built in?), why should it be required to also have that installed and active? Undecided Smiley
But as I said above, I'll leave be.
Estragon
Rising Star

Firewall in the router is fine, whatever you do on your computer. A software firewall plus Windows firewall should be avoided.  Most IS suites turn off Windows firewall during their installation.
I don't know if Kaspersky still does what it did when I had it - it does that at the start of the installation or version upgrade process, long before it starts its own up  :(. So I always used to unplug the ethernet cable between the computer and router while it did it.