Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could the I-Plate be at fault??

dvvrue95
Grafter

Could the I-Plate be at fault??

Hi folks,
from my previous postings some of you may know I've been having problems with disconnections/slow speeds etc. So have gone thru the business of changing ADSL filter, plugging into Master socket etc (still awaiting a second router, but not supplied from PN).
I'm still having disconnection problems even when connected via the Master socket  .......... but then something struck me  Embarrassed
I have a I-Plate fitted between the usual front plate of the Master socket and the backplate which has the original BT Master socket so should I remove the I-Plate as well as the front plate? I.E. I am currently connected to the Master socket but via the I-Plate.
Are there any components in the I-Plate that could fail resulting in connection problems?
any thoughts, Ian
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Could the I-Plate be at fault??

I had to go and find your previous post to look at the history. You say above you have been plugged into the Master socket, I guess from what you have described, you have removed the Front Plate, and it would be the Test socket you would be connected to, if it weren't for the i-Plate which you are actually connected to.
The point of connecting to the test socket is that on removing the front plate, you isolate any internal wiring, so plugging into the i-Plate doesn't negate that, but in answer to the question there is a Common-mode filter on the A & B pair, and the Bell wire Filter, the latter will make no difference to the significance of the test. It is very remotely possible that the Common--mode filter may fail but it would require a high voltage for that to happen. To be 100% certain that the i-Plate is not faulty, remove it and connect directly to the test socket.
What happened when the BT engineer came? Did you tell him you had heard Intermittent crackling noises on the phone line?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

require a high voltage for that to happen

Like a lightning strike, I had issues for a while with intermittent noise on my phone.  About 2 years ago we had a biggish storm here which I wasn't home for which killed my then pc and router.  At that time I never got BT in to  check the line over, but I finally had visit in February to fix noise on my line.  In the end the BT engineers replaced the master socket and gave the Pole my line comes from a once over.
New master socket resulted in going from an unstable 2mbit too 4.5mbit
So if your area is prone to lightning storms and you get any noise on the line its worth getting BT in to fix it
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
dvvrue95
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback
@Anotherone
@Gus
Yes in spite of mixing up my Master socket/Test socket terminology you managed to interpret my message. In answer to the question about the BT engineer visit - I had cancelled it, because for the scheduled time the only item I had not swapped out was the router. In fact I have still not received a new router (not supplied by PN) so prefer to await the outcome of changing router before summoning the great one  8).
I will try removing the I-Plate later today since I am getting frequent disconnections even with things connected as described above.
I am still getting intermittent crackling on the line at,  least it happens when first lifting handset or doing a 17070 option 2 call.
It is a rural line but we have lighting protection fitted at the I/C BT line following exploding fax machine several years ago  Huh
When I am connected  (like now) things are really really good - see stats below :-
Slightly interesting line rate since my PN profile is 1.8M?
Line Mode ADSL2   Line State Show Time
Line Power State L0   Line Up Time 00:00:53:37
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 7

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 1943 Kbps 624 Kbps
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 5.4 dB
Line Attenuation 64.5 dB 39.0 dB
Output Power 0.0 dBm 12.8 dBm
MSGC (number in overhead channel data) 12 12
B (number of bytes in Mux Frame) 110 78
M (number of Mux Frames in FEC Frame) 1 1
T (Mux Frames over sync bytes) 2 1
R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame) 10 12
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length) 1.8195 4.0000
L (number of bits in PMD Frame) 532 182
D (interleaver depth) 16 8
Delay 7 msec 8 msec
Super Frames 196422  196420 
Super Frame Errors 784  4 
RS Words 7071228  13356560 
RS Correctable Errors 888548  5410 
RS Uncorrectable Errors 10932  0 
HEC Errors 652  0 
OCD Errors 48  0 
LCD Errors 0  0 
ES Errors 0  0 

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/13378663292878704022.html
So I will persevere until I can swap router out but thanks for your comments,
Ian
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you are still getting crackling on your phone line you need to report this as a phone fault (again!?), but don't mention the broadband otherwise you may get the run around. Make sure you report it as intermittent, and phone up whilst it's crackling and get the agent to confirm they can hear it. Ask them to make sure OpenReach are told it's intermittent.
(This will be why your Super Frame (CRC) errors are high for such a short uptime)