cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could a member of staff confirm Bt engineer visit this week.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Could a member of staff confirm Bt engineer visit this week.

perhaps he's discovered a bigger problem and is still working on it.

That seems to be the case I'm afraid. I've just checked again and the order is still open. There's not much we can do at the moment but I should be able to get this chased up for you tomorrow if need be.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drswrightson
Dabbler

Update - Engineer called me at 1730 and told me that there had been significant problems with the cabinet, and the contractors had done a poor job in its installation. He said it had taken a number of colleagues to find a suitable working connection ?presumably to a fibre.
It's now working, syncing at 24 (although the BT dslchecker estimate was 33.9). He said he would contact me tomorrow morning to ensure it's still working (fills me with confidence!). I may ask him for a profile reset at this point to see if I can get nearer 33.9. It's slightly disappointing given that most people seem to get in excess of its estimate. I wonder if it was this low because of all the messing round in the cabinet with the DSL light going on and off several times during the day.
Question for the experts - if I don't get a profile reset, will the speed go up naturally of its own accord over the 10-15 day training period, or is this a more substantial issue?
Thanks to Adam for his prompt replies.
paulpicks21
Grafter

I am glad you at least have it working now John.
Just for your information, my estimated speed was 35.3 meg, after running many tests throughout the day its has been consistent between 34.6 meg and 35.2 meg so as you can imagine I am very happy.
I would imagine yours should be much closer to the estimate and that it will be sorted soon.

Paul.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Its not looking so good for me today Sad
Something has gone wrong overnight.
Could someone check it out for me as its down to half a meg!  See screen shot.
drswrightson
Dabbler

Paul - me too. I'm getting similar speeds on speedtest.net, but ~21 on speedtester.bt.com, so I suspect there's a network issue rather than something specific to you or me.
EDIT - I wonder if it's related to this;
Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - 1st February 10.00pm-2nd February 8.00am
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
Best wishes,
John
paulpicks21
Grafter

Interesting yes.
I will see what its like after work today and go from there.

Paul.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem, I'm glad that got sorted in a timely fashion. Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paulpicks21
Grafter

All back to normal for me now Smiley
drswrightson
Dabbler

Adam,
Could you please advise me of what to do next, please. I'm still synced at ~24, despite a single modem/router reboot just now. The connection had been up for 22 hours since I was connected yesterday. You'll see that my expected speed is ~34 (attached images).
As I mentioned, the engineer called yesterday at about 1730 and said that things should work having had colleagues working on things. His speed tester had given him 40/10 speeds for the line (even though he wasn't in the house - I don't know whether he was at the cabinet or exchange). He promised a call this morning to check all was well, at which point I was going to ask for an IP profile reset given things had been connected and disconnected lots yesterday with the OR modem DSL light going on and off each time they did something at the cabinet/exchange. The call never materialised.
I feel my line isn't reaching its full potential. I also feel that OR, by rights, have not finished their installation as they haven't fully checked things at the house before it was all signed off (the JDSU was never plugged in at the house). As a minimum, the IP profile should be reset, but surely they ought to be doing a check with the JDSU at the house?
Thanks,
John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Myself and a colleague on the faults team are looking into this now, we can see that there is a fault I'm afraid so we're raising this now for you.
I'm sorry for the continued complications but your service should work fine, whilst we look at the speed issues.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drswrightson
Dabbler

Thanks, Adam.
I'm persistently impressed by how quickly you and your colleagues pick up issues on these fora.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

fora.
good use of a rarely used plural Smiley No problem, I'll make sure we keep you up to speed
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drswrightson
Dabbler

So I was amazed at Openreach's speed when an engineer came at 0845 this morning without warning!
Very nice young apprentice on his own who did his best to see what was wrong. He spent a while checking things at the house and the cabinet. Apparently the cabinet is OK but there's a few errors on the line when tested, although he couldn't find the location of the actual fault.
His helpdesk concurred that things are slower than anticipated. They reset the profile and everything etc. and it still connected at ~23 sync speed. Unfortunately, he's not trained in Underground cabling yet, so will raise a fault with an underground trained engineer to visit in due course to investigate the cabling.
Fingers crossed, although I do appreciate that I should be grateful to get the speed I do, anyway, compared with some in the sticks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for letting me know. I can see that my colleague did a cracking job of making sure someone at Openreach was on the case very quickly.
We're monitoring for further updates and we'll be in touch as soon as we know more.
Thanks very much for your patience.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drswrightson
Dabbler

So, incredibly an 'underground' trained engineer arrived an hour or so after the first one left! I can't fault OR's responsiveness.
He repeated much of the tests and declared there to be no faults with the line (at odds with the first engineer). In fairness to him, he also spent a while at the cab and obviously did look into things. He said that 24-25 was the most I'd see out of the line, unlike the ~34 on the bt dslchecker now.
@Adam - it would be interesting to know whether your error testing systems still class the line as 'FAIL', with 'performance parameters beyond specification'?...If not, I guess the line is as good as it'll get.
Thanks,
John