cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could Plusnet provide an alternative Fttc router I could opt to buy?

Justin7
Grafter

Could Plusnet provide an alternative Fttc router I could opt to buy?

I have got a really good fttc connection but the standard plusnet router isn't really very good for wifi signal. Plusnet used to offer the option to pay for an upgraded router in the past and it'd be good to have a better quality option for people willing to pay. I was hoping to get a better router through plusnet as I want it preconfigured and use something they'd recommend.
Does plusnet have any plans to offer an alternative router for fibre customers any time soon?
8 REPLIES 8
apjashley1
Grafter

Re: Could Plusnet provide an alternative Fttc router I could opt to buy?

Almost ANY router would work - try looking for one labelled for cable connections, as the actual fibre connection is made by the Openreach modem
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

There's a thread running asking for a recall on unwanted routers.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113700.0.html
I replaced mine with an Asus RT-N56U, £79.00 from Amazon. It's dual band & the wireless speed is excellent. It's handling 2 laptops, 2 Nexus tablets, my WD My Book LIve, a printer & internet TV without any problems whatsoever.
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks both, I'll have a look around at some 'cable' routers. if anyone knows if there is a good one around the £50  price I'd be grateful to know the model/name.
Richsm11

Quote from: apjashley1
Almost ANY router would work - try looking for one labelled for cable connections, as the actual fibre connection is made by the Openreach modem

Not strictly true I fear. I wanted a router with much better parental controls, we have a 12 year XBox junky & I want to limit his time & be able to monitor his time/block his access via remote access so I bought a Linksys EA4500 which seem to have everything I need in that respect, apart from teh fact it just doesn't work. Well I say it doesn't work I can access some sites but not others, BBC for example but Google just doesn't exsist according to the router. I've spent 10 hours today trying to figure it out but to no avail. Really frustrated now Angry
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Perhaps Cisco Connect Cloud doesn't like Google or perhaps someone has been googling things they shouldn't  Crazy
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Richsm11 - use the router to limit the times of access, and use OpenDNS to enforce parental controls (it's free).
That's what I do and haven't had any problems, although it would be best if you have/get a static IP address.
Richsm11

Very funny Anotherone not that frustrated. The router wonuldn't even connect to Cisios own site. Anyway far too much hassle with this router so I've changed it for an Asus RT-N66U, now this thing is the bees knees  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Glad you've got a sense of humour, it was probably that or a sledge hammer. Unfortunately Cisco haven't had really good reviews with that beast.
Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums by the way  Wink