Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I improve on these speeds?

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Could I improve on these speeds?

My ADSL2+ speeds have been steady 11mb or so since joining Plusnet last year.  Could the download be improved? The BT incoming line runs 3km from the exchange, it runs into a BT socket box with integrated microfilter, and there are no extensions etc. I note that the line speed on the TG582 is higher at 12.7mb. Anyone see an opportunity to squeeze a bit more speed? And no we don't need fibre, ADSL is plenty for our needs. Many thanks!
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,123 / 12,743
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 457.31 / 6.23
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.1 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.9 / 31.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.1 / 3.8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4,842 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 145 / 6,140
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 151 / 23,912
8 REPLIES 8
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Could I improve on these speeds?

Could the download be improved?

Input your details here http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG4gMTI3NDMgRG4gMzEuNSBEbiA2IERuIDI=#res
Restart your router and make a note of the SN Margin (down) after the reboot (or reconnection) is it about 3 or about 6?
Ian
cedlor
Grafter

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  1,123 / 12,743
Green with envy!!   I am approx 3km from my exchange and barely manage 7Mbps  which after various tests everyone says is fine and within the expected parameters..
I think instead of copper I have a piece of wet string. ;D.
Your looks to be a very good connection at the top end of expectations for ADSL2+ at that distance
Just seen the other post will be interested in the result
cedlor
Grafter

If you do decide to restart the router  read this first: ( Quote from one who knows)
When you go off-line or in fact do anything that may involve loss of sync, always best to do "graceful" disconnects.
use the following method -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line.
Do whatever is needed, but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. When you re-connect and power up, you may need to login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day. This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
(For those that have a modem/router that doesn't have an interface for you to drop the PPP session, then pull the power plug and wait a minute or two before unplugging from the line).
Longliner
Seasoned Pro

Thanks folks, followed procedures as suggested, after reset SNR unchanged at 6, and speed on TBB tester slightly down at 10.6mb, or 10.8mb on Pnet tester which is always more optimistic. It could also be a busy Sunday pm with all the kids online ... Coolwebsite says my speed is slightly low on figures supplied, suggests I should get 13mb.
Uptime: 0 days, 4:35:34
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,127 / 13,099
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.77 / 31.65
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.4 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.0 / 31.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 254 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 287
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 550
Incoming line is at least 25 yrs old, some 300m of overhead from the box. It used to have a big coil spare on top of the electricity meter/fusebox, a few years ago I reworked the slack and clipped it up in the rafters so it's 1m or more from any mains cable, this produced a 20% improvement. Thanks for the suggestions and I do realise I'm better off than many!
ian007jen
Rising Star

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  6.0 / 3.1

SNR unchanged at 6,

I think you have read that wrong....the second number is the down SN Margin....so 3.
Bandwidth
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  1,127 / 13,099

so 13099 kbps connection speed (bt ip profile of 11.5 Mbps)
Login to the plus net member centre and look here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
is that 11.4 Mb?? this is a figure plusnet receives from BT ip profile (rounded down a bit) and may take a while to update to the correct number.
This may also sometimes become stuck and somebody from plusnet may have to "unstick" it for you.
Ian
Longliner
Seasoned Pro

Thank you Ian, PN reverses up/down from my previous supplier  Embarrassed I followed your link with this result:
Estimated line speed:  8Mb (This may vary between 5.5Mb and 12.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-02-02 11:06:26
Current line speed:    11.2 Mb

Given that I'm well inside the limits quoted, would it be worth asking for an 'unstick' ?  I did see 12mb once last year, I put it down to lucky fluke as other times it's around 11.
ian007jen
Rising Star

Current line speed:    11.2 Mb

That is OK..... my calculation before were a few % out ......BT IP profile = 86% of synch speed (11.265) and plusnet round it down to 11.2.
11Mbps is about all you may be able to get.
big coil spare on top of the electricity meter

did you remove the excess wire or did you keep it all and just clip it to the rafters?Huh
Ian
Longliner
Seasoned Pro

I was tempted to remove the excess but remembered that cutting BT incoming cable is a capital offence! I was able to move the incoming junction box without disconnecting anything and reposition the cable beneath the roof ridge. I could remove 4/5m at most but I doubt if this would make any difference when I'm stuck with 3km of copper anyway. The fibre cabinet is under 300m away if I want it but I don't trust PN/OR to switch over without problems, and as I say 11mb does my job. Again, many thanks for your help.