cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could BT Openreach work have reduced my broadband speed?

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Could BT Openreach work have reduced my broadband speed?

HI,
The banding is caused to ensure the connection remains stable. Since the phone fault has been resolved, I've reset the line for you. The banding should be removed within the next few hours, but it may take a little longer for you to get the new throughput.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ewerby
Dabbler

No improvement yet, do I need to reboot/reconnect the Technicolor Gateway router?
ewerby
Dabbler

Bumping this again as my speed is still awful despite the banding being removed.
Tried to run a test direct into the master socket at the weekend but I discovered that the ADSL plug into the router is a different shape to the one exiting the master socket (its one of those twin ADSL ones). So how do I connect the router to the master socket?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there
The banding isn't on your line any-more and the sync is better but there's a fair few errors on the line which won't be helping things.
With regards to the faceplate does it look like any of the ones in the link below?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ewerby
Dabbler

Line just dropped again, although to be honest I'd rather have occasional drops than constant slow speeds.
Attaching a picture of the ADSL face plate...cable runs form this to an extension box, which has a smaller plug into the router
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Woops that will have been me testing your line apologies for that.
It looks like you have a filtered faceplate. One socket for the phone and for the broadband.
If you unscrew the two screws you should be able to get to the master socket which is behind it.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ewerby
Dabbler

OK won't get a chance to do full test until the end of the week.
Please leave the line unbanded in the meantime even if there are occasional drops, thanks.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

FYI it isn't Plusnet doing banding, it's the automatic exchange equipment Dynamic Line Management (DLM) that does it in response to line conditions. It sounds like you may possibly still have a line fault. Keep checking the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2.
The only other thing that it would be helpful to confirm is the colour of the 2 wires from the faceplate to the modem/router socket - I would hope they would be a pair of either Blue+white trace & White+blue trace, or Orange+white trace & White+orange trace.
ewerby
Dabbler

OK I understand that now, thanks.
Should the quiet line test also be done direct into the master socket?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Doing so eliminates the possibility that any noise heard might be down to your internal wiring.  If there turns out to be no noise it matters not!  Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

But more to the point, if you pay your line rental to someone other than Plusnet and you do have noise, to be able to say I'm plugged into the test socket with my corded phone means they have no wriggle-room.
As something has caused your speeds to drop and DLM to have banded your connection, it would be best to ensure any future disconnecting is done "gracefully". Use the following method -
If you have a modem/router that doesn't have an interface for you to drop the PPP session, then pull the power plug and wait a minute or two before unplugging from the line, otherwise -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line.
Do whatever is needed (swap filters/sockets etc), but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. When you re-connect and power up, and when it's booted, Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day. This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
One further point, especially applicable to very long lines, you will get very small differences in sync speed every time you sync, so just because you get a marginally better sync speed in one situation, it doesn't necessarily mean that situation is better than another situation.
The other thing particularly for long lines, is to do this in daylight hours, in Winter a good hour after sunrise and a good hour before sunset when propagation noise levels tend to be at their lowest.