cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of provisioning FTTC and other questions

chesterfield
Grafter

Cost of provisioning FTTC and other questions

Dont know if this is the correct forum, but have a few questions that if answered may be able to help a few people.
I live in an area where the excahnge is to be enabled for FTTC at some point during 2013, however after a quick enquiry with openreach I have been informed that my cabinet is "not commercially viable", not unlike a significant number of other people around the country who apparently live in areas where FTTC is available, but BT choose not to promote the fact that a large number of cabinets in those areas are not enabled.
With the funds being made available to regional authorities around the country through BDUK (broadband Delivery UK), councils are having to elect a chosen partner to help achieve the governments goal of superfast broadband to 90% of properties by 2017 - our own council are looking to achieve 100% of properties by 2015 (ambitious..)
Does anybody have any rough figures on the following:
The cost of provisioning a new FTTC cabinet assuming the following:
Cabinet can be easily located next to existing cabinet (no planning or building restrictions etc)
Cabinet is in an exchange area already enabled for FTTC
Power and trunking already exist to said cabinet.
Added costs for provisioning a FTTC cabinet such as:
fibre from exchange to cabinet in terms of cost per KM?
Ongoing costs to a FTTC cabinet:
power
maintenance

Enabling an exchange for FTTC:
Is the cost per line,dslam or other matrix?

With some of these figures filled in, it will be easier for residents/businesses to make cases to their local council to have FTTC rolled out to their particular cabinet or even exchange area if it is not already enabled.
Also, its probably never going to be revealed, but what makes a cabinet "commercially viable".  Obviously the number of residential and non residential lines connected to it, but what are the numbers?
Do BT actually take any notice of the "register your interest" figures, and do they look at these from an exchange area or a cabinet area?  i.e. if everyone connected to a particular cabinet registered their interest, would BT see this as reason to enable that cabinet within an area, or just the exchange area itself - possibly leaving those who registered their interest out in the cold while benifiting those in the area who didn't bother to register their interest.
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Cost of provisioning FTTC and other questions

but what makes a cabinet "commercially viable"

Obviously the number of customers connected will have a bearing on this, I don't know if BT Wholesale / Openreach also look at the demographics of the connected customers (factors such as income bracket, age range etc. could have an influence I guess), also the average distance of properties from the cabinet (or more importantly - how many are too far away for VDSL2 to perform adequately) and the distance from the exchange (near means good speeds without FTTC, too far means long and costly fibre installation).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
James
Grafter

Just to comment from a Plusnet point of view - I have no visibility of those costs, only what we pay for a fibre circuit.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: w23
near means good speeds without FTTC,

Knowing chesterfield's posting history I don't think that applies in this case!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

Which will be based on an average cost for those deemed to be viable.
At the risk of sounding contentious, if BT were forced to upgrade cabinets they consider economically nonviable then the average cost must increase and we'd all end up paying more (unless the 'nonviable ones' were otherwise funded).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

Quote from: jelv
Knowing chesterfield's posting history I don't think that applies in this case!

My answer was deliberately non-specific.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'