cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt downloads and low speed

pete4561

Corrupt downloads and low speed

Hi Guys,
          Just spoken to tech support on the phone and suggested I post on here. I have FTTC and its been running for about 2 months. I have been having these issues from the word go. ADSL was always fine.
When I try and download a file it always ends up being corrupt and failing checks. As a result of this I basically cannot download any content. I can browse the net and dropbox seems unaffected however downloads that are run over HTTP and FTP seem to come down damaged. The account control panel says the line Sync speed is 34Mbs however when running speed test (speedtest.net and http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) recon its ~ 18Mbs - the speed checks have been run at all times of day so its not line congestion
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Pete
18 REPLIES 18
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Corrupt downloads and low speed

Hi Pete,
Welcome to the community forum.
Have you tried this on more than one computer?
Chris
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

What OS and browser?
Have you tried a different browser?
EDIT
Any difference between wireless and ethernet?
CX
Grafter

Perhaps it's an issue with antivirus software or firewall?
It is possible to scan HTTP and FTP traffic as it's coming in, whereas (for home users at least) HTTPS and SFTP traffic can only be scanned once the download is finished. If the antivirus software is doing something "weird", it is possible it could corrupt your HTTP and FTP downloads yet encrypted Dropbox connections would be fine as they pass through unscanned.
pete4561

Hi All,
          Cheers for your replies;
Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi Pete,
Welcome to the community forum.
Have you tried this on more than one computer?
Chris

Hi Chris - yes I have - 4 now!
Quote from: nitram
What OS and browser?
Have you tried a different browser?
EDIT
Any difference between wireless and ethernet?

OS Has been Windows 7 x86/x64 and XP x86 with no difference
Tried, IE, Firefox and Chrome
Nope no difference between wired/wireless!
Quote from: CX
Perhaps it's an issue with antivirus software or firewall?
It is possible to scan HTTP and FTP traffic as it's coming in, whereas (for home users at least) HTTPS and SFTP traffic can only be scanned once the download is finished. If the antivirus software is doing something "weird", it is possible it could corrupt your HTTP and FTP downloads yet encrypted Dropbox connections would be fine as they pass through unscanned.

I am running AVG on all my machines except 1 of them which was a fresh insall and the download of AVG corrupted so am fairly sure its not that.
Thanks for all your responses!
Pete
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm not sure how feasible this is and/or whether there might be adverse consequences (don't have fibre myself) but If I were at this stage I would be looking to reset my modem/router back to factory state in case some obscure setting had become corrupt.
pete4561

Quote from: ReedRichards
I'm not sure how feasible this is and/or whether there might be adverse consequences (don't have fibre myself) but If I were at this stage I would be looking to reset my modem/router back to factory state in case some obscure setting had become corrupt.

Tried already, cheers though!!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you been able to try an alternative router?
pete4561

Quote from: chrispurvey
Have you been able to try an alternative router?

Have tried a different router but not got an alternative VDSL modem to try so stuck with the BTOR one that was supplied
Cheers!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Seems like the next step is to get you a replacement modem, out of curiosity have you tried and of your computers at another location(do they download OK elsewhere?)
pete4561

Ok that would be good if you can cheers - can you get the address details from my account from here? Yeah the computers are fine else where (laptops)
Cheers
adie:quote
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Have you tried  PPPoE  into the modem?
Don't think it will work as replacement router didn't help, but you never know!!
pete4561

Hi Nitram,
                All ready tried it! Same result!! Thanks for the suggestion though!! Will try the new modem if PlusNet can supply one!
adie:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time on the phone, as discussed I've arranged an engineer appointment for the 20th December where the engineer will replace your modem.
Let me know how you get on.
pete4561

Hi All,
      The engineer came and replaced the modem. While he was here suggested it might be the RJ11 cable that could be the problem so I have replaced it too. No difference!! Downloads are still corrupting and speed tests are still showing speeds of around 19Mbs
Any further suggestions are welcome!!
Cheers
Pete