cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct wiring advice

pjb

Correct wiring advice

Hi, I've been using plusnet without many problems for 3 months now and am getting a constant, decent speed of between 1.5 - 2mbps. While trying to get my parents broadband sorted over Christmas I came across lots of FAQ's re. wiring and am not sure mine is configured correctly.
It's a small house so should be a pretty easy one I'm hoping.
Ok, from the master socket, I have a standard BT type extension cable running to where the computer sits and all that I need to plug in is my router (free one port router I got from Plusnet) and my phone. The problem is that the phone I'm using is a VOIP/standard hybrid and has a RJ11 lead from it.
I've tried putting a filter into the extension and then the router into the modem socket and the phone into the phone socket (via a male - male RJ11 - BT cable) but the phone doesn't work.
So the only way of configuring it which I've found is to use a double socket adapter plugged into my extension, then to have my router (RJ11) plugged into that and also have a microfilter plugged into the BT side of it, from which I feed my phone (from the RJ11 socket).
Is this the best way to do this ? would a microfilter plugged into the extension then a RJ11 double adapter be a better way around it ?
Not a major problem as at the moment both things work and are stable but I'm just thinking there should be a better way..........
Thanks in advance, hope that makes some kind of sense.
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Correct wiring advice

Hi there,
If possible it would be better not to use the extension on the ADSL hardware at all, and either use wireless or get a longer ethernet cable from the router to the PC. Extension cables cause all kinds of issues. You'll probably gain a bit of speed without it too.
You can safely use the extension on the phone, as this is a lot less susceptible to interference, but if possible don't use it with the router.
Hope that helps,
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: Correct wiring advice

You don't NEED a filter anywhere. Phone and ADSL will work without it but you may get interference and poor ADSL signal if you don't have them.
Good guides and info here...
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_articles.htm
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bandwidth.htm