Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct Mode for DrayTek Vigor 2800VG

cpcnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Correct Mode for DrayTek Vigor 2800VG

Hi I have just setup my Vigor 2800VG and would take advice on which is the correct modulation type for my account?
MultiMode failed totally so I flicked it to ADSL2+ annex M and its working but that was just a guess on my part....
I have been trawling this forum but I am not sure what does or doesnt apply to my own account?
TIA Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Correct Mode for DrayTek Vigor 2800VG

Try running the "BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test"
Ignore all the words in red, just click on the "Yes" at the bottom left, and then click on "Begin Test"
If your upload speed is greater then 1.4Mbps then you might as well stay on "Annex M"
If the upload speed is less than 1.4Mbps, make a note of both the upload and download results.
Change your modem to connect as "ADSL2+ (G.992.5)".
If your connection doesn't accept being on "ADSL2+ (G.992.5)", try going to "ADSL2 (G.992.3)".
Repeat the BT test, it is likely that the upload speed is probably about the same, but the download speed should be faster.
Leave your modem set to the option which gives you the best result.
Wink
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

AFAIK Plusnet don't do annex M, that's for upload speeds up to 2.4Mbps.
Try ADSL2+ Auto, but if your sync speed is less than 4Mbps then ADSL2 Auto may give slightly better results.
Note:
If you cause a re-sync by experimenting with these settings, don't risk another re-sync by changing settings again for at least 30 minutes. Otherwise you risk your IP profile being reduced.
cpcnw
Rising Star

Results :-
Annex M
DS: 8.03
US: 0.58
PL: 40.88
G.992.5
DS: 8.19
US: 0.63
PL: 41.75
G.992.3
DS: 7.11
US: 0.61
PL: 41.25
[PL=Ping Latency]
Will leave at G.992.5 - tnx for help Smiley
cpcnw
Rising Star

Spoke to soon - got back from a walk today and no internet at all. Have factory re-set and put all my settings back in but cant even get sync. Its so annoying as everything was going great including voip phone. Even more annoyingly, the plusnet supplied router works straight away.
Maybe my DrayTek is a duffer?
The only thing thats changed is that the outside temp has plummeted and we are on underground cables.
Last time [some years ago] I tried to use a 3rd party router [as +net put it] I had similar sync issues.
What I dont get though is how it all worked for 8 hours or so then fails spectacularly?
cpcnw
Rising Star

Just tried another router [a Billion] and it also cannot get sync. Tried the DrayTek and the Billion on the test socket and still the same.
The Plusnet supplied router works on a 10 metre extension?
Go figure!
cpcnw
Rising Star

OK so I am back on but lower speeds than before. And this has me foxed.
Scenario: BT master socket downstairs front room > One extension from faceplate using CAT5e quality cable to upstairs > one double adapter > one to a short extension for router and one for phone [both the phone and router connecter using PN supplied filters]
All this been working for ages fine. I setup the Draytek and it goes really well. Then for some reason after 8+ hours no internet. Then after further messing about no sync at all. Initially I couldn't even get sync in test socket down stairs. Same on another router [Billion]
Plugging the PN Supplied router back in on the the end of the second extension and it worked fine??!!!
So, now I have removed the second extension. The filter is straight into the faceplate of the first extension and the only thing in it is the PN supplied filter and the Draytek - it all works, albeit with lower up / down speeds than before.
It kinda looks like the Draytek does not like the 2nd extension + phone being plugged in - but the PN Supplied router doesnt mind it at all and gets good speeds with this setup.
What I still fail to understand is that when I first swapped out the PN supplied router for the Draytek, it achieved better results and worked first time in the same position. Then 'something happened' - and I have ended up with no phone in the office and have had to move the router / psu's etc off the top shelf onto the desk?
Do you think that some kind of line profile change could of caused this?

cpcnw
Rising Star

More Router Change Shenanigans!

After reporting my router problems here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135264.0.html and taking the advice given, leaving the ModType at G.992.5 I have seen decreasing rates over the last few days. As a reminder when I initially swapped out for the Draytek on boxing day I was getting these results from the BT Wholesale Tester
DS: 8.19
PL: 41.75
Now I am down to these
DS: 5.23
PL: 39
This  is what the router i/f is saying
ADSL Status Mode State        Up Speed Down Speed  SNR Margin Loop Att.
ADSL2+                SHOWTIME 1029000 5962300       12.0                29.0
I have a strong suspicion that the SNR margin has increased since I first did the swap out.
I have attached a link to a  diagram of my setup for comment below. I removed the upstairs phone as the DrayTek didnt seem to like have it plugged in the filter which the PN router was quite tolerent of? As I am using the print spooler and voip phone on the DrayTek it would be really impractical to move the router down to the master socket.
cpcnw
Rising Star

Re: More Router Change Shenanigans!

http://www.cpcnw.co.uk/downloads/setup.jpg
Forum wouldnt let me up upload? Kept timing out?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: More Router Change Shenanigans!

The drops on the 27th can't have helped matters. You had more then though that on the 26th when the changes were made.
I'd like to know what your SNR is whilst into your test socket. Also, is your "bad phone" unplugged now?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two topics merged to help in diagnosis
cpcnw
Rising Star

Tnx OJ - yes, the bad phone is out of the equation altogether now. I don't want to go back down to the test socket at the moment because I have stable connection and am in fear of further re-profiling?
In addition I am new seriously considering a more recent DrayTek (that does PSTN pass through seeing as I am a phone down) because the use of the 2800VG in conjunction with Draytel.org has been enough to impress me on the voip side.
Maybe this is best closed for the above reason.