cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling off period on broadband

martynsingleton
Grafter

Cooling off period on broadband

just joined plusnet, we use them at work and they are great, never a issue, just joined on the fibre package and allready in 9 days ive reached 40gb, and have been advised ive been charged 5 extra, and will be charged 5 extra for each and every 5gb, im appaled at this ! ive been with BE unlimited for yrs and never been charger for however much i use, i am not what i call a heavy user, but when you have fibre, why not use it ? i have been streaming iplayer , watching utube, playing xbox, just normnal things, i am now seriously considering my options, tbh i may as well go back to BE , i want to check is it a 30 day cooling off period as you get with all other providers? and as i went live on 21 dec does that mean i am well within my term to cancell.. i am also pi$$ed that theres customer service , but no one that can talk to me about this issue, yet they claim in there literature to be there for you 24/7 365 days a year ! yet im told theres nothing anyone can do till 3rd jan, fat lot of use that is to me, especially if they try to bill me for another 5gb usage... almost makes me want to unplug the lot, incase i go over and get hit with another 5 quid charge.. then another...
to think im booked to join them for phone line as well ! that wil certanly all depend on what they can offer me with this current situation..
i will be on the ph to them 8am on the 3rd, cant even book a return call to me ! apparently all calls are only incoming.. total frustration here
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cooling off period on broadband

Have you considered upgrading to the "Extra" 120GB fibre package ?  http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/broadband/
You will get additional 80GB allowance for just £5 extra per month  Wink
CX
Grafter

You can set a limit for additional usage (£5, £10), and can even set it to 0 so that you never use more than the allowance that you signed up for.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To limit your expenditure as suggested by 'CX23882' use this link https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/
martynsingleton
Grafter

ive allready been bill a extra 5 , so wondered why plisnet didnt use there loaf and auto upgrade this month to the 120gb instead of just telling me they will keep on charging me 5 for every 5gb, does common sense not prevail ?
think that is my only option, take the upgrade route, just that cust services didnt want to talk to me about it as they cant handle these enquires ! madness
really doesnt instill confidence in them
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Upgrades can only take place at the end of the billing month not half way through
martynsingleton
Grafter

oh it just gets better !! so i joined, unsure of what id need, and now find i cant upgrade mid month, i mean, its not a lot of paper work is it, a few key taps on a pc..
right royal pain in the ar$e
maybe wil quit then, join BT fibre perhaps.. or back to BE.. guess im stuffed till i can talk to the 'team' on tuesday..
adie:Quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can schedule the upgrade by logging into the "MEMBER CENTRE", and then follow the prompts in the [Product Change] tab,  the change will take effect on your next billing date.  Undecided
If you are still considering canceling anyway, then check your Account Summary for a list of cancellation charges that you will have to pay, that might change your mind  Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and also it is PN's policy, they will never auto upgrade you, its up to you to initiate it  (with certain exceptions, I had a dopey agent on nights changed my package by accident, took three months to get it back)
Anonymous
Not applicable

This problem is becoming a recurring theme in this Forum, and it as about time that Plusnet dealt with new customers in a more flexible manner to prevent this unnecessary anxiety due to inflexible procedures.
The obvious solution would be to ask new sign-ups whether they are migrating from an unlimited package, or are unsure of their monthly usage, then to sign those customers up by default for the "Extra" package for the first month.  Then at/near the first billing date, if the new customer has used less than the "Value" allowance, firstly do a one time only "good will" refund of he difference between the "Extra" and "Value" cost, and secondly direct the customer to an appropriate page in the "MEMBER CENTRE" where they can choose which package they wish to continue on - with the hindsight and experience of a typical months usage.
This system would -
1) Allow informed new customers who know their requirements to choose their appropriate package as they do now, unchanged.
2) Give unsure new customers get better service in their first month without the panic of potentially huge bills for multiple £5 top-ups till month end.
3) Plusnet system wouldn't have to change from the existing upgrades on billing date schedule.
4) But would involve slightly more interaction by the support process in the first month - but happier sign-ups !
WelshPaul
Grafter

In all fairness it is not PN's fault if a customer signs up and picks an incorrect tarriff, after all if you go into a petrol station put £10 worth of petrol in and get so many miles down the road then run out you wouldn't call up the petrol station kicking up a fuss moaning the cashier should of asked you this that and the other at the checkout regarding your journey ensuring they made sure you got the right amount of fuel!
However PN should update their systems to allow package changes at any time with pro-rate billing, this would solve a lot of issues.
Anonymous
Not applicable

While that is true, using your analogy, if you paid £10 for petrol then started driving but noticed the fuel gauge that you were using petrol too quickly, then you would go back to the petrol station and buy some more - but you wouldn't expect to then have to buy it in bulk and pay five times per litre as much as you did when you started your journey, and have to continue paying the much higher rate for the next month.
It isn't really Plusnet fault, but there are a lot of customers now trying to save money on their unlimited accounts migrating to Plusnet, but for some reason are unaware of their requirements, and sign up for the cheapest package then quickly run out of allowance - because they have never had the experience of limited capacity.  I'm just saying that this problem keeps occurring and perhaps the first month of sign-up could be handled with less of a blunt approach.
WelshPaul
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
While that is true, using your analogy, if you paid £10 for petrol then started driving but noticed the fuel gauge that you were using petrol too quickly, then you would go back to the petrol station and buy some more - but you wouldn't expect to then have to buy it in bulk and pay five times per litre as much as you did when you started your journey, and have to continue paying the much higher rate for the next month.

Just like a petrol gauge Plusnet offer a meter that clearly shows how much you have used, when you get to a point your options are take it easy, stop until next months allowance kicks in or pay more. It's all there in black and white and unlike most companies PN do not try and hide it in a mass of small print.
Quote from: purleigh
It isn't really Plusnet fault, but there are a lot of customers now trying to save money on their unlimited accounts migrating to Plusnet, but for some reason are unaware of their requirements, and sign up for the cheapest package then quickly run out of allowance - because they have never had the experience of limited capacity. 

Well more fool them for being lazy and not doing their homework, however if customers used and set correctly their Maximum extra monthly spend limit to zero and PN allowed customers to change packages mid month and bill pro rata when doing so oh and people used their allowance meter there really would be no issue!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm not sure how well changing mid month and billing pro-rata would work as you couldn't give them the full 60GB allowance. I think you'd have to give them a pro-rata allowance as well. E.g. three-quarters of the way through the month they've used 20GB and decide to switch to Extra. You give them a pro-rata allowance increase, so they've paid Value for 3/4 month which gives them 7.5GB and Extra for the rest which gives them an extra 15GB - total 22.5GB. I can't see that 2.5GB for the rest of the month solves their problems.
The complications of giving them the pro-rata allowance with the knock on in to the usage monitor and the usage watch would be horrible.
On top of that I know how I'd rate the chances of Plusnet getting the pro-rata billing right!
The only possibility I can see with a reasonable chance of it working would be a retrospective change. I.e. pay the full difference and give them the full 60GB allowance.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
WelshPaul
Grafter

Depends how you setup the billing really, if my invoice date was lets say the10th day of the month and as you pay up in advance that means i am paid up till the 9th day of the following month now if on the 20th i change my package from Value to Extra then it could take effect from say midnight generate a new bill say for 11.49 from the 21st till the 20th of next month then automatically apply the credit for the overpayment from the original subscription date of the change i.e 21st till the 9th day of the following month and all future billing dates could switch from the original 10th day of the month to the 21st day of the month.
That way they get a full 60gb allowance from the time they request a change in package.
What sky did to me with the movies!