cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controller app not finding Viera TV - router issue ??

Chopper69

Controller app not finding Viera TV - router issue ??

I have a new Viera TV and have loaded the controller app V2 onto an Asus HD7 tablet.  I eventually got the TV connected to the internet through the Thomson TG 585 V8 router.  So both tablet and TV are talking to the router.  But the app cannot detect the TV.  After a search on the web I've made sure the 'allow multicast broadcast from broadband network' is on but i suspect this is a router setting issue.  Any help would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Controller app not finding Viera TV - router issue ??

That setting is to do with receiving multicast from the WAN such as IPTV.  Nothing to do with communication on your LAN.
Are both connections wireless or is the TV connected by an ethernet cable? 
Chopper69

Both wireless (but I am thinking about getting a powerline adaptor for the TV anyway).
kankali
Grafter

Chopper,
I have a 2013 Viera TV and the Android app. If I remember correctly you had to go into the network setting in the TV menu and turn the TV Remote App to on.
I don't have the same router as you but I didn't have to change anything on my router. I use wireless for my connection and haven't had an issue.
Regards, David
Chopper69

David,
I went round all the menus and eventually found the 'TV remote App settings' and made sure it was set to 'on'.
Chopper
kankali
Grafter

Chopper69
OK so that's one possible issue eliminated. When you go into the Remote App and choose Device Selection from the bottom of the menu does it find your TV?
Regards, David
kankali
Grafter

Chopper69
Also if you go into the Media Server on the TV, does the TV see any other devices(assuming they're switched on) e.g. Windows Laptops/Desktops?
Regards, David
kankali
Grafter

Chopper69
Other users reporting issues with the App here.
http://www.avforums.com/threads/the-panasonic-et60-owners-thread.1768441/page-27
Regards, David
Chopper69

Hi,
I go into Media Server and I get 'DLNA server not found. Pleas ensure that.....'  i assumed this was about not having a hard drive attached to stream video files .....but perhaps not.  Thanks for taking the time to help.
David
kankali
Grafter

Chopper69,
The Media Server is used to play movies, photos etc. from your other networked devices e.g. a Windows laptop etc. I suggested you went into this to see if your TV could seen any other devices on your home network.
The Media Player in the TV Apps is the one that plays movies etc. off attached Hard Drives, USB sticks etc.
The AVForums postings seem to suggest uninstalling the android app then reinstalling it.
Failing that try installing Serviio (a media server) on a laptop and see if Serviio can see your TV on the home network.
Regards, David
Chopper69

David,
I'm getting in over my head.
The TV can't see any other devices i.e laptop and android devices which the Thomson Gateway shows.  There is never anything in the TV's  'Network Link Settings' > 'Remote Device List' screen.
I've tried removing then reinstalling the App but to no success.
I loaded the Serviio software.  It doesn't appear straightforward but on the status screen all it can see is the laptop I'm running the software from.  Screen shot attached
I'm still thinking this is some sort of router setting issue which doesn't allow devices to see each other across the network.
David
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Chopper69

I'm still thinking this is some sort of router setting issue which doesn't allow devices to see each other across the network.
David

The following link solves a problem concerning DNLA (Media Sharing) not being discovered across the LAN.
The fix applies to Thomson / Technicolor routers with firmware 8.2.7.7. I don't know if this affected other versions of firmware or if it will help with your problem but it may be worth a try.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#dnla
You'll need to use telnet to apply the fix, instructions at the top of that web page.
kankali
Grafter

Chopper69
So the TV doesn't see any other devices on the network and Serviio doesn't see you TV on the network.
All in all that confirms to me what you first thought - looks like a router issue.
By the way this is what I see on Serviio.
Regards, David