cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Disconnection

wattsy
Grafter

Continuous Disconnection

Hiya to Everyone, Best wishes for the New Year.
I'd be very grateful if someone could give me some good advice.
I have been having great problems with my computer of late which i believe have now been sorted.
The problem I have now is continuous disconnection, I have uninstalled then reinstalled Adsl Pci modem.
I have a Dynamode PCI A220 internal modem which came with the package when I joined Plusnet in 2002. Don't get me wrong I know things don't last for ever. I have tried several times to install a external modem without success.
The advice I need is have I set things up wrong
I have Windows Xp. Choose  PPPoA, when I check in device manager in Network Adapters  it's Adsl PCI Wan Adapter should it be Lan rather then Wan.
I'd really appreciate advice someone told me it had to do with the version of windows I had which I couldn't understand.
Regards
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Continuous Disconnection

I would think it's WAN because that's where the modem connects you to, the great outdoors. Are you sure the CD you are loading the drivers from supports Windows XP at the service release level you have? Is that what was meant when you were told the problem was due to your version of Windows?
If the problem is outdated drivers, rather than persevering with this modem does your computer have an Ethernet card (or PCI slot to take one)? With that you could connect to a router/modem to provide your Internet connection.
David
James
Grafter

Hi Wattsy,
Whilst this isn't a solution to your problem, it may help in a roundabout fashion.
I've just had a look at your account and can see that you only use a very small amount of usage each month, under 500MB.  I'm not sure if you're aware, but we now offer a £9.99 product called Broadband Your Way (BBYW) and Option 1 of this packages gives you a 1GB download limit during peak hours of 8am until midnight.  Usage outside of those hours is not counted towards your allowance.
You would also be entitled to receive a free one port (both ethernet and usb) router if you were to stay with us for a year which would help in updating your hardware and also giving a more stable connection.  I'm not a great fan of PCI modems!
Let me know if this is something you would be interested in.  Surely saving a fiver a month wouldn't be such a bad prospect Smiley
Not applicable

Sounds like a reasonable plan - save money, and get new hardware.
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya
Jameseh thanks for that reply something to think about.
I have tried several usb modem without success. Tried with the pci modem disable, last was a speedtouch.
Regards
James
Grafter

Thanks Wattsy,
When you were using the Speedtouch, was the ADSL light just flashing?  Or did it turn solid green?