cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuing internet 'dropouts' aka why did I choose to move to plusnet?

BearUK
Hooked

Continuing internet 'dropouts' aka why did I choose to move to plusnet?

I'm experiencing an increasing number of internet 'disconnects' on my broadband.

At first it was the occasional late night loss of connection, and I thought, well, maybe that's to be expected, if Plusnet perform maintenance.

But recently it's become much worse.  Regular disconnects that recover after a minute or two, becoming as long as 5 minutes...and restarting the router isn't helping.

So much for PlusNet's 'We'll do your proud' adverting.

I read some comments from others here in the community and noticed someone talking about their ping times.  I tried mine and try were in the 2700-3200ms range. (Little did I know that would be good in comparison to what I have now).

I called support, and although they agreed they saw regular connection drops they could find no fault with my line or broadband. The problem has been escalated, I have been promised a call within 72 hours.

In the meantime I've continued to experience connection and speed problems. pinging google.com...packets sent 4, received 2, approximate round tip 3644ms.

I was with Sky for three years and never had a problem. I went with PlusNet because Sky were becoming expensive. I decision I regret. I will leave PlusNet at the earliest opportunity.

10 REPLIES 10
Nannap55

Re: Continuing internet 'dropouts' aka why did I choose to move to plusnet?

I am having the same problem, only been with plusnet a couple of weeks and beginning to regret my decision to change over to them, was with BT for as long as I can remember, only changed over because of trying to save on costs. Wish I tried elsewhere now.
BearUK
Hooked

I called support again after a complete loss of internet connectivity, and they have an engineer coming tomorrow afternoon to look at my line. The guy I spoke to says there is a high resistance on the line and that I'm currently having errors every 80 seconds. We will see if the engineer finds any faults...

preecejon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I was with EE for a year, zero issues. I've been with plusnet a few month's and frequently get disconnected late at night and early morning.

They say it's openreach but I never had this issue with EE.

They tell me to compete the online fault finder, it doesn't even have options for issue. I go through the questions, it asks me if I have a connection when plugged into test socket (which I do, until it randomly disconnects) and then the fault finder stops thinking I don't have a fault! That's what happens when you leave a computer program to do the job a human should be doing.

I'm now told to wait 3 days and test when I've already had a week off frequent disconnects.

What's our legal standing with leaving broadband providers? I want out. I will never use plusnet again. The combination of connection issues and poor customer service is terrible. No wonder plusnet score so low in surveys.
BearUK
Hooked

Thanks for your comment.

This is what I think will happen.  I'm writing this for when plusnet charge me £65 for a callout that is deemed to be my responsibility.

Most likely... BT will be unable to find a fault, and will either do nothing, or will 'guess' at a problem, possibly replacing my Socket (with a huge one that has a microfilter built in, that I don't want), possibly, but less likely, the wiring between the socket and the line going to the house.

The situation will not change.

I'll then ask to be released from my contract.

They will probably make more excuses.  If they charge me and the problem is not resolved I'll ask to be released from my contract.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Thanks for reaching out @BearUK 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems.

It's probably worth firstly noting as that faults can occur at any point in time and there are a variety of causes for them. Arranging an engineer visit doesn't necessarily mean the engineer will simply check your equipment.

They should be carrying out an investigation into the problem. If the engineer finds no fault, and the problem remains then we'd likely simply arrange another engineer as opposed to charging you a call out fee. 

We robustly defend all engineer charges before accepting them from our suppliers. This process can take up to 90 days following a fault investigation closing and we'll only apply the charge to your account if absolutely valid.

Can you let us know how the visit goes? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BearUK
Hooked

Hello to PlusNet support.

I WAS preparing to eat my words.

The engineer arrived and replaced my socket. He retested and said that had cleared the fault. He also said that this would not result in a callout charge, so I was happy.

24 hours after the new socket was installed, everything seemed stable. Then I had another dropout.

No worries I thought, teething problems.

After a couple of days with only occasional internet use, it's Thursday evening. I'm watching a youtube video, and the video stalls.  Tried a ping, roundtrips times of 900-1100ms.  My app that maintains a constant internet connection is now showing regular 'disconnected' messages again. Another ping. Minimum round trip time 137ms, maximum 1757ms. It seems any 'improvement' to my connection has been temporary and minimal.  I'll call support tomorrow morning; I'm expecting them to tell me that there are still problems with my line.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thank you for getting back to us.

I've tested your line and I can see your router has been in sync at a line speed of just over 9mbps with no drops over the past 2 days.

image15629218307918

With that in mind, can you confirm if your devices are connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable? If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and I'd recommend trying the steps Here.

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, are you using any powerline adapters or switches before the router?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BearUK
Hooked

Today, Saturday 13th July, 13.38-13.40

BearUK
Hooked

As the end user of a broadband service, I had no issues when I was with Sky.

Moving to PlusNet, I have a new broadband service and a new router. Nothing else changed. I've had the service less than three months and the broadband quality has deteriorated.

An engineer replaced my socket on Tuesday. As of today, Saturday 13th July, I would say there has been little or no improvement to my service.  It is possible (too early to say with certainty) that the frequency of disconnects is less, but they are still occurring far too often. 

I will report back in a couple of days after I try your previous suggestions.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to see you're still having issues.

When you move providers there is generally a change of port at the cabinet and/or exchange especially from Sky as in most areas Sky use their own equipment in the exchange whereas we'd use BT equipment.

Could you kindly confirm what I've asked Here please.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet