cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual Drop Outs of Broadband - Help

lloyd568
Dabbler

Continual Drop Outs of Broadband - Help

I don't know what sort of service other people receive from Plusnet, or what they  consider to be an acceptable level of dropouts, but our service has been getting worse & worse over the last few months.  Over the past month i have had 24 drop outs in service recorded, assuming i am looking at the correct thing.

After doing some google research I followed this path to track down the info:

"The event viewer will register a log every time the internet connects and disconnects. You can access this log in the Event Viewer by navigating to System and then look for every instance of Event 55."

It shows 24 in the last month.  Is there anything that can be done about this, or do people think that this is an acceptable service i should live with.  Don't get me wrong, when the internet is here it is 10 times better than what we had previously with BT, 2 people can be WFH online, plus having phones, Ipads & Amazon on without any issues whereas with BT, if one person was online you had to ask them to go off before you could even think about loading an Iplayer.

Any help gratefully appreciated

Moderators Note

Title changed from all CAPs as required by Forum rules.

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: CONTINUAL DROP OUTS OF BROADBAND - HELP

@lloyd568 The computers event log is useful, but that is very local to your machine, and I think it may be related to your local environment, rather than anything Plusnet related.

To give us a chance to see if it is an external error, can post the WAN tab of your Hubs Event Log, please?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 398

Those events are from NTFS  and are reporting a corruption in the file system. Nothing to do with Internet at all

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

That's what I thought, @MisterW  - which is why I've asked (as a start) for the WAN logs.

John
lloyd568
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Apologies for the wrong info.  Was a stab in the dark from google searching.  I have no idea how to find what you have asked for, will gladly post if you have an idiots guide.

Many thanks

jab1
Legend

@lloyd568 Which Plusnet Hub do you have? I will post below my 'stock' troubleshooting guide for you to run through (don't worry about asking questions if it is too technical, we all started off not knowing much. I'll guide you to the WAN log when I know which Hub you have, and if we need it, after you have responded to the below:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
lloyd568
Dabbler

Thank you for the help.

I have a hub one.  I have run the troubleshooting guide & the line test is all clear.  Below are screenshots requested (hopefully)

performance.pngBT BROADBAND.png

jab1
Legend

Cheers for those two screen shots, @lloyd568 . I'm guessing from those that you are on the 'Fibre Unlimited' package, not the 'Extra ' version , in which case they don't seem too bad.

If you could add the Help Desk page that would be further help. For the WAN log, which would also be of use, when you have saved the Help Desk page, click the 'Event Log' tab on there, and 'WAN' on the resulting drop-down.

John
lloyd568
Dabbler

Thank you for all the help.  Yes i'm on the fibre unlimited package.

Attached is the doc containing both the things that you asked for.

jab1
Legend

Cheers for that. From that information, I strongly suspect you have been having DSL drops, the Dynamic line Management system in the cabinet  has been trying to compensate, and has raised the SNR/lowered the speed.

As there is little further I can do, I suggest you report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Post back with the response, please.

John
lloyd568
Dabbler

I have added your assessment & the wan log to the open question that is still with Plusnet that i submitted on Fri.

Many thanks for all your help

jab1
Legend

OK - I'll watch for any further action.

John
lloyd568
Dabbler

The internet was stable for 4 days then it went 3 times in a short space of time in the afternoon & plusnet were straight on the phone saying they had been monitoring it & had noticed the drops & would be sending an engineer on Tues.  Hopefully that will fix my problems, but all in all it has been much much better over the last week!

jab1
Legend

@lloyd568 Thanks for the update. I await further info with interest.😁

John
lloyd568
Dabbler

Update :

Well, engineer came.  Spent a good hour going through everything & running tests.  Couldn't find any significant faults he said. changed the junction box & the master socket but service is till dropping  Have just run the wan log again & looks like 8 drop outs in the 3 days since if i'm reading it correctly, although they are only for a few seconds, rather than 15-45 mins like previously its still frustrating when you are trying to work.   Plusnet have emailed to say that they have closed my question as their test show the service is now operating as it should!!!