Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contention Ratio

jonnybennett
Grafter

Contention Ratio

Hi,
  Would it be possible for someone to tell me what my contention ratio currently stands at. Is it 20:1 or 50:1.
Also does this mean in theory that the lower the contention the better the connection (taking into consideration that if all users are running the connection at the same time then the speeds will decrease).
Also is it possible to upgrade to a better contention?
thanks
27 REPLIES 27
James
Grafter

Re: Contention Ratio

Hi there,
Under Max, there are no longer any contention ratios.
Now there is a different priority on IPStream Max and IPStream Max Premium, but no specific figures given as such.  If you have an exchange contention issue, then upgrading to Max Premium may help.
We can do this for you for a fee of £25 per quarter.
jonnybennett
Grafter

I don't have an issue but I would like to receive the best possible connection with plusnet. I do notice slow downs during peak times though. Not to an in-operable state but its deffinately slower.
Would you recommend max premium?
What are the benefits and would it be possible to see some information.
I'm quite happy with my bandwidth at the moment, and know I can always add more if necessary.
thanks.
godsell4
Rising Star

Then you want to be on PAYG! Sad
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Hi Jonny,
You could always try using BBYW Pro for a month to see if you notice an improvement?
That would ensure that all of your traffic is coming down as fast as our network will allow.  That way you'll be able to prove whether it is exchange contention or network contention which is causing your slowdowns.
jonnybennett
Grafter

i would move to bbyw pro but theres only 10gb bandwidth and i will use more than that.
I really dont know.so you wouldnt recommend max  premium i presume.i would move to bbyw pro and upgrade bandwidth but if it doesnt make an improvement durimg peak then i dont know
I heard that its possi to achieve better upload speeds with max,if this is the case then that would be useful as im a webdesigner.what do you think,is it worth trying.
It would just be nice to get better speeds during peak,and i would like to try something to see if it helps.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
That's pretty much why I suggested trying it out for a month.  If it doesn't improve the situation for you, then you can easily move back to your old product.
Then we can looking at giving IPStream Max Premium a shot to see if that helps you out too.
It's your call Smiley
jonnybennett
Grafter

doee max offer 20gb bandwidth.if so then cqn i give that a shot first?
Plus if max can offer better upload them im all for that idea
jonnybennett
Grafter

ok and how much more is that.is it part of the monthly subscription or every 3 months
And the other question,does it effect upstream
James
Grafter

Yes, as Peter has said, it's a quarterly card transaction of £25.
The upstream speeds would be upto 832Kbps as opposed to the current 448Kbps.
jonnybennett
Grafter

and does this improve priority,hence more chance of obtaining a better speed during peak time?
James
Grafter

It is possible, but not guaranteed.
It will only give you a better priority if your problem is exchange related.  I don't want you to fork out £25 to see no improvement to your downstream speeds!
jonnybennett
Grafter

yea i understand.hmm. Well i really dont know.i wish the local exchange would offer more than 2mbps.i am on the weymouth exchange and this is supposdly the maximum.
Its a really hard decision to make. Ideally i dont want the hassle and hope it gets better
In some ways i just wish i could even get synced at 2000kbps but its always stuck at 1500kbps.left router on for many days now and nothings seemed to have changed on the plusnet portal.it use to always be above this.
jonnybennett
Grafter

thanks.so if i decided to try this then where would i sign up anf how does the payments work.i presume the first payment would be the day i signed up and then next payment in march.
jonnybennett
Grafter

Also is there anywhere i can find out when my exchange will offer more than 2mbps?.
What really confuses me is that my friend who lives opposite my house (you can climb over the wall in my garden and your in his garden on the other street) can supposdly get 4mbps and from entering his number on a site that states the max speed available it says 4mbps and mine is 2mbps