cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Distribution Networks

pullenuk
Grafter

Content Distribution Networks

What are Plus.net plans for the future? At the moment the speeds we download from these Content Distribution Networks which so much of our popular sites and stuff are on is rubbish.
Over the last few weeks if I was downloading updates (eg. Nokia Software Update) it takes AGES to download then all of a sudden after midnight it takes seconds to complete. That is franky rubbish, you are forced to wait until past your bed time (especially when you got work at 6/7/8am) for your update to complete/download.
I even notice speed differents on itunes as well, especially in the evenings. What is honestly the point in annoying customers by slowing down the popular stuff? All you are starting to do and there is evidence all over the forums now of customers getting annoyed and starting to leave Plus.Net. Hell even I'm considering leaving the second BE comes to my area next year, I been such a loyal customer for YEARS and now I'm fed up.
I'm at home mostly in the evening, my family is the same and we mainly use the internet then. I cannot accept that we have to wait longer to download stuff because we have normal jobs 9 to 5. Sometimes I'm forced on days off to get as much downloads in during the day. Its crazy the different in speeds downloading updates or watching videos at lunchtime and in the evening.
While my gaming doesn't seem to be affected (if it was I would've left by now) I need to know what is Plus.net plans are. Are you going to keep limiting our access to content that everyone likes using or are you going to allow us to use the speed of our lines.
I will not and I will not even think about allowing my connections to paid for 20mb+ if Plus.net are going to limit speeds to 1mb. That is taking the mickey and just wrong. I know you have to give a fair policy for everyone to enjoy decent speeds but its about time you actually keep up with your customers and keep up with the times. Otherwise you are going to go from one of the best ISP's to being the worse because you fallen behind. Investment is needed. If BE can offer proper UNLIMITED broadband at double the speed and with no limits on speed then Plus.net needs to start considering what they will need to do because these kind of ISP's become popular. Otherwise everyone will leave!!
Sorry for the rant and sorry if it causes offense. But its time to get with the times, 1mb speeds is RUBBISH in this time and age. Asia enjoy speeds of 100MBPS ++++ on a normal internet connection and we can only do "about 1mb" - Come on........
20 REPLIES 20
scootie
Grafter

Re: Content Distribution Networks

If BE can offer proper UNLIMITED broadband at double the speed and with no limits on speed then Plus.net needs to start considering what they will need to do because these kind of ISP's become popular. Otherwise everyone will leave!!

your comparing an LLU provider to a IP stream provider.
PN have there bandwidth charges to pay to BTw.
where be an o2 had the cash to invest in llu and control there bandwidth charges better, worth noting that be and o2 have the mass profit of o2 mobile to back them up to. i would asume the broadband dosent make them much if at all any profit once they have payed for all the unlimited bandwidth that goes out of the transit links ect hence why they tempt you to have there mobile fone network by lowering you broadband cost more because they know they get a better profit revenu from the mobile youve chained your self to
Mand
Grafter

Re:Content Distribution Networks

Hi there,
We are always looking at what we need to do to make the service better. The reason the majority of the CDN stuff is slowed at peak times is to protect gaming and browsing.
Looking at our individual usage pattern, you could switch to Pro and get prioritised bandwidth all the time. It's cheaper than your current package, and offers a better experience (and upto 20Mb speeds if they're available at your exchange).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If your peak time usage is going to stay below 20GB you would be mad not to go for Pro: http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/pro.shtml
I'm on a legacy product which gets the same priorities and speedtests are usually up in the 6000+ area all evening.
One thing to note is that if you do switch it usually happens on your next billing date - you'd need to be nice to Mand to do anything about that!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scootie
Grafter

asbo wonders how the traffic mangment update went this morning, is PN going to elude to us what tweaks they have made to the download server queue aka CDN
pullenuk
Grafter

Thanks all for your responses so far.
Its only under 20GB because we are not fully using it as much as we would do. I don't use bbc iplayer or sky player very much (even so I would) to make sure I don't exceed any limits. Switching to a 20gb package would still mean I have to be careful.
Also I would like to download movies and games from the xbox 360 service, but most are at 0.5gb each, meaning again I could hit the limits.
I bet there are charges for going over the limit. Also do you have to sign a new contract?
As for BE Unlimited, I don't have to have a 02 mobile contract 😛 never will anyway, their internet service is plain rubbish and slow, I find my current Orange service fair better and faster.
Mand
Grafter

You can choose whether to add extra usage (at £2 per 2GB) or have your traffic restricted once you hit the limit (via the Data Transfer watch facility).
There's no change in contract for changing.
You get free overnight usage too so could use that to schedule some of the larger downloads.
pullenuk
Grafter

What the traffic restrictions you get then?
Mand
Grafter

On Pro? There are no restrictions, all traffic is classed as Gold or higher.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Reading the last few posts I am confused.
I thought that on the new products when you hit your limit traffic was blocked and not restricted to 128kbps
But the following seems to suggest otherwise
You can choose whether to add extra usage (at £2 per 2GB) or have your traffic restricted once you hit the limit (via the Data Transfer watch facility).
14. What happens if I go over my monthly usage allowance?
An extra 2GB will be added to your allowance for the month. This costs £2 which will be added to your next bill.
To control how much you spend per month, use the Data Transfer Watch tool to set the maximum amount you want to spend each month.
Note: If you hit the limit set in the Data Transfer Watch tool, your connection will be restricted at all times. These restrictions are removed on your next billing date or if you increase your transfer limit.
So what are the restrictions
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

On the new products you are restricted to 128kbps with advanced protocols (P2P etc) blocked.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Thanks Chris.
For future reference can you point me to where this stated and also which advanced protocols are blocked - is ftp blocked for example
pullenuk
Grafter

128k once you hit the limit? that is plainly rubbish. Iam already near the 20gb and over some months so !therefore I face having very poor speeds in the later of the months. Once on pro i would start using iplayer, sky player etc more and with my usage already near the limit it takes away the whole point of it. Looks like Plus.net can no longer give the service I used to get. Very sad that is.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Yeah, it is sad, Plusnet seem to have forgotten that they are supposed to be a charity and should be giving their miserly users what they haven't paid for. Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pullenuk
Grafter

you are dealing with a customer that been using plus net for the last 4 years on a old product that pays 25.99 per month for. on top of that I had them a few years before that at a different address. for the last 4 years I had excellent service, always got my line speed on downloads. So being this loyal I now get less of a service. That is not right and no way to treat a customer. My Grandad who I recomended this service is also concerned about the speeds in the evening and we are both considering leaving and making sure all our friends and family are fully aware of what plus net are like now. Excuse me if I sound like a arsey customer but why should it change to worse than I got for years before? Its a great shame to see a major service provider, especially now its owned by one of the biggest companies in the world cant seem to offer a decent download speed in the evening where most people are online. Im not leaving my computer on overnight to do downloads while Im asleep nor should I have to wait. Funny thing is, I dont use P2P so I dont download illegal movies and music off sharing networks and I want to start using iplayer, sky player etc. But it slow!!!
dick:quote