cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant short broadband outages

PabloBruno
Grafter

Re: Constant short broadband outages

I have experienced no recent drops and if anything the speeds have increased slightly too.

PabloBruno
Grafter

Just had my first outage in 2 weeks. Not a massive problem, and if the engineers say this is within normal parameters then I will accept that.

Just wanted to let you know that random drops are still happening.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @PabloBruno, thanks for letting us know. Hope you've enjoyed the Bank Holiday weekend. 

I'm sorry for the drop and for any problems this caused. 

Hopefully it will go back to being stable again for you, though let us know how you get on!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
PabloBruno
Grafter

Just to let you know, there was another very brief drop about an hour ago.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi PabloBruno, I'm sorry there was a drop overnight, the good news is it's the only one we've seen happen in 8 days which is really good and it can be quite normal for any connection to drop briefly every few days:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PabloBruno
Grafter

Hi,

Am glad this was never closed as we are experiencing a few more drops in our broadband again.

Could the line be checked again please? We've certainly had 3 drops in the last 24 hours.

Many thanks.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi again, I'm really sorry that your connection has started to drop again. Line tests don't show anything obvious so can you try following the checks here next please?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PabloBruno
Grafter

Hi,

I have tried all those things (except the phone's dial tone - we have no landline phone) and 99% of the time the broadband is fine. But it just went down again. That's 4 or 5 times in 36 hours.

Can this be investigated further please? My main worry, is that last year we started to have these drops and then we had a fault that took two and a half weeks to fix.

It's not a major issue yet, but I am concerned that they keep happening. Also, after the drop the speeds decrease considerably.

Many thanks in advance.

PabloBruno
Grafter

For example, when I switched to 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' I sometimes got speeds of 60 Mbps, but recently have been averaging around 50 Mbps.

After the drops, it goes down to 35-41 Mbps.

Any advice/investigation would be much appreciated.

P.S. it even went down really low earlier (see pic)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@PabloBruno wrote:

Hi,

I have tried all those things (except the phone's dial tone - we have no landline phone) and 99% of the time the broadband is fine. But it just went down again.

Such can be the characteristic of intermittent issues - you really do need a (cheap) handset to listen for noise on the line when the issue occurs.  In these circumstances, by the time someone can get to test the line, the issue will have disappeared.  Testing at the time of the issue using a handset is by far the best approach to understanding the reasons for the line drops.

Speed tests are also not the best indicators of what is happening on a line, especially if they are performed over WiFi.  Sight of the router line stats would be most helpful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for keeping in touch with us @PabloBruno and I'm really sorry to hear about the issues that you continue to have on your line. 

While stability does look to have improved over the last few days, speeds do not look to have recovered, are are still sitting at 48.4Mbps (RRT). Initially, I did think the line might be banded, though your profile is set at 80Mbps, so something clearly isn't right here. 

I'd like to arrange an Openreach engineer to come out and have a look. but only because of the recent drop in sync speeds. You're actually still within your estimates. If I'm honest, when you took our your most recent 80/20 contract, you were advised to expect speeds between 28 - 42Mbps, and BT's Availability Checker shows that you're likely to get speeds between 46.8 - 66.9Mbps, so I wouldn't expect a huge increase in download sync speed.

Can you please let me know when you might be free for an engineer visit this week? 

Capture.PNG

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
PabloBruno
Grafter

Hi Adam,

I really appreciate your response. Yes, I am aware that the speeds are within what Plusnet have advised, but I agree with you that the drops and the slower speeds are cause for concern.

I will be available for an engineer visit all this week as I am working from home. But please can you give me a little notice (email/text) so I can make sure I am in. An afternoon visit would also be preferred.

Many thanks.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to me and for confirming that. I did find tomorrow to be a little short notice, so have arranged the visit for Wednesday afternoon if that's alright? 

You'll also be able to both view and comment on the open support ticket here

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds