Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant short broadband outages

PabloBruno
Grafter

Constant short broadband outages

Hi,

I have been experiencing intermittent broadband outages that only last a few minutes but are becoming increasingly troublesome.

I was able to get an engineer to test the line a little while ago who did state that he could see that they have been occurring but not outside of normal parameters.

However, he suggested I contact Plusnet if they continue, and they are still happening. Could someone have another look as it is now interrupting important meetings and I feel that if it keeps happening there must be something wrong somewhere?

Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

27 REPLIES 27
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Constant short broadband outages

First step is to check the line for audible noise. Dial 17070 option 2. The line should be dead quiet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PabloBruno
Grafter

Many thanks for the prompt response. Unfortunately, we never use the landline and have no phone with which to test.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You can short circuit a good deal of diagnostic messing around by obtaining one through purchase (less than £10) or borrowing one. Checking for a dial tone / clear line is a fundamental self help test.

Beyond that you’ll need to wait for a staff member to perform a line test to see if that identifies any issues. A clear test there does not though assure that there is nothing wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

PabloBruno
Grafter

Thanks for the responses. However, on this occasion I am not going to waste money on an item I will never use, especially as I have been told by an engineer that there have been drops, I am still experiencing drops and therefore I know there is a fault somewhere.

I will wait for an engineer to test the line once more as advised.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A phone hand set is never a waste. But that’s your choice. Bowing out of here, for staff to pick up when available.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting in touch @PabloBruno

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having internet connection problems, though on our side at least, things are looking okay. 

I'll pop both a GEA test, and visual radius below which shows the line looks fairly stable, so I'm assuming the problems you're having are with the wireless connection within the property. Do you have any devices wired up to the router that are also disconnecting? Is the light on your router changing colour when it disconnects? 

If not, there are a few settings that I can fiddle with on your router from my end, which might improve your wireless service. Changing these will drop the connection for a brief moment though, so I'll need the go ahead from yourself before doing it. Smiley 

KBD

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 54.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 682.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 4dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2022-03-29T10:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 56.4 Mbps 57.5 Mbps 57.3 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 10.9 Mbps 11.1 Mbps 11.1 Mbps
Up Time 859.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
PabloBruno
Grafter

Hi 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@PabloBruno wrote:

Hi 

The above suggests that there may be a fault with the Hub. I assume you mean the blue light turns orange and you get a red 'B' symbol?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Appreciate that any drops are annoying and I'm really sorry if they're happening while you're in a meeting.

Our suppliers would generally say that 3 drops within 24 hours or 6 drops within 72 hours is normal.

As line tests aren't showing any issues ^ I can't say what's causing those occasional drops I'm afraid. 

If you can provide your router stats from the Advanced Settings tab of your router's settings at http://192.168.1.254 this may shed some light into why your broadband's dropping. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PabloBruno
Grafter

Thank you everyone for all your responses and advice.

I will keep an eye on the problem and hopefully the drops will lessen.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

It would be an idea to solve the problem, rather than live in hope. The page @Gandalf requested from your Hub would be a start - if you really want help in solving the issue.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Something is amiss here - the user reports frequent drops (the router flashes orange) but Plusnet's connection history report (VR plot) shows no drops over extensive periods - 11 days - and then only a couple of odd drops.

Can there be a doubt that a drop in sync will give rise to a drop in the PPP session and thereby no correlating events on the Plusnet visual radius plot?  I suspect not.