cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant high ping, sync speeds fine

loumoodie

Constant high ping, sync speeds fine

Hi,
We moved to Plus net about a month ago from talktalk, I have always had good connections over ADSL, usually ping to bbc.co.uk about 8-12 depending on ISP.
I usually have 10ms on plusnet but over the last 3-4 days my pings have been in the 1000-2000 range.
Website are loading very slowly, taking much longer than they should so surfing is tedious, netflix is near on un-usable at times.
I am syncing at 20,000 down and 1,000 up which is usual, but i have noticed the noise margin drop to 3db, its usually and at the moment at 9db.
Can someone look into this for me?
I'm not sure if its the router or what?
I've tried different cables and sockets, however not a different router, this router has given me pains already and i'm hoping its not the root to this issue too!
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Constant high ping, sync speeds fine

When you see these issues again can you try pausing any uploads to see if that helps? Around the time of this post there was a decent amount of upload usage, which if saturating your connection can cause problems with the download/ping/.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
loumoodie

Re: Constant high ping, sync speeds fine

Hey,
Yeah I didn't think I had anything uploading, but possible my iphone was uploading to icloud and i didnt realise, but I have noticed it happen other times too.
Will keep an eye on it.
Thanks