cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant drops in connection

the1goatboy
Dabbler

Re: Constant drops in connection

Please don't think you are hijacking my thread. It seems we are in the same situation so it makes sense to discuss and follow each other.

I can't see it being your phone line, if like mine it was fine for years then with the move to plusnet this happens. Plus I had two engineers out, the second one spent two hours and checked everything from the cabinet to my socket including all the junctions on the phone cable at the top of the pole and all the way into my house.

I'm convinced it's a software issue, the box is not talking to the provider or something. But hey I'm no tech guy.
higgy1981
Rising Star

My engineer blamed my wiring, then when it didn't work he said there was something wrong at the exchange, then when it still didn't work he blamed my Plusnet router then [-Censored-]ed off Cheesy

Tested my line before he left and said i was getting 19MB however when it works, its barely 10MB.

I have previously been with Plusnet (for about 7 years straight) my username was mrmarkus1981 back then, i had my mum, brother, sister and uncle all using them, they were great. And i did get 20MB back then. Same house same wires, 2 years later and i am giving up with 8 months of my contract left.

Its a shame Sad

the1goatboy
Dabbler

Well they push the speeds down so it's more consistent but 10Meg is allot!!

It seems very funny that you've had no issues all that time and all of a sudden you are, I've see a few people having this same problem online.

I'm not having the line is at fault.
higgy1981
Rising Star

Forum is full of people complaining about drops in connection. Same advice given in every case, of course its nothing to do with Plusnet 😕

My new provider has sent Openreach round today to check my lines Smiley

the1goatboy
Dabbler

They won't find a problem.
It's funny I've gone from not being able to get a full hour of Internet for the last two months to 5 days (I think, 4/5/6) of no issues at all.

I'd bet my left testicle it was a software issue they have resolved but won't admit as they'd have to admit they were wrong.
It's stupid really because now I've got to go though the whole change over again and back into the unknown as I've chosen a brand new provider. Silky as I would have considered staying if they'd have rang me and said hey we found the fault and fixed it.
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@the1goatboywrote:
I'd bet my left testicle it was a software issue they have resolved but won't admit as they'd have to admit they were wrong.

I'll take that bet. Can you DM me your username and I'll look into it for you.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
the1goatboy
Dabbler

Hahaha Hi John,
My username is [Removed]

Had what I believe is our first drop in 5/6 days about an hour ago.

Good luck 🙂

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It was a software issue

Betting/jokes aside I suspect DLM has intervened on your line as your profile is "0.128M-20M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-3.7M Upstream, Retransmission High" but you're now syncing at 25mbps.

By any chance do you know what you were syncing at before the drop? The tool we use to check this only lets us check from within a day so I won't be able to confirm until tomorrow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
the1goatboy
Dabbler

DLM? Download manager??? Lol

When I was getting an uninterrupted connection I was getting between 20 and 27 Meg, was happy with that.
But as the thread says it was dropping up to 50 times a day, twice an hour, and was taking a solid 10 mins to reconnect.
Sometimes I'd go a few hours with no probs, they were the good days.

Software? Can you explain to me what the issue was/is in layman's terms.
I think it was when they switched me from 72Meg fiber to 38Meg because although they sold it to me and said I could definitely get it despite my constant questioning and disbelief at point of sale lol.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

DLM = Dynamic Line Managment - Part of the BT system which adjusts how your line operates in an attempt to manage synchronisation stability, in the presence of noise on the line or other issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

the1goatboy
Dabbler

Hmmm, ok so what was actually wrong?
the1goatboy
Dabbler

Switched to SSE had the sane problem for the first 48 hours. In that 48 hours they fixed the problem and I've had not only perfect connection but also the best speeds I've ever had at this address.
10Meg faster than BT, Talktalk and Plusnet.