cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant dropouts and very slow speeds for FIVE MONTHS.

worzel
Grafter

Constant dropouts and very slow speeds for FIVE MONTHS.

I've been a Plusnet and before that Force9 customer for nearly twenty years. In that time I must have had no more than three or four times I've needed to raise a ticket.

This year, I've raised five. One a month, every month, and all for dropouts and slow speeds, with the exception of January's when I was completely cut off - phone and broadband - for three weeks when BT:OR (or "The supplier" as PN insist on calling them) finally came out and fixed the error, after missing three appointments with no explanations and no apology, I might add.

Every other time the problem has been 'fixed' in a few days, only to wrong again a few weeks later, usually at the start of the next month, and over the weekend - when of course I want to use broadband.

This time it has been particularly bad as you can see from the attached charts from my SamKnows readout.

My 'normal' speed is around 1.50 to 1.80 which I accept is because I'm a fair way from the green box. However, since 19th April (the second chart)  I've barely made it over 1.00, and the last week (the first char) it has been worse still, if there's even a connection in the first place.

BT Wholesale speed test currently puts my download speed at 0.39 although it dropped out three times just while I was typing this, and raising a ticket, performing the other tests, to a point where I'm now using a neighbours wi-fi (with their permission) as it's the only way I can get anything done online.

Upload speed is fairly constant at 0.55 throughout the issues (assuming a connection obviously.)

Finally, can I repeat what I said in the last ticket / forum posts. Can this be investigated properly - by BT:OR - and actually FIXED as I'm starting to wonder if I should get my old BY Voyager dial up modem out as although that wouldn't be any faster, it wouldn't be slower either and might actually stay connected.

3 REPLIES 3
worzel
Grafter

Re: Constant dropouts and very slow speeds for FIVE MONTHS.

So two days later and  no reply either here of to my Broadband fault checker ticket other than the automated one when I made it.  Neither of which surprises me in the slightest any more from my previous recent experiences with PN.

Still on the bright side my download speed is currently 1.15 which is almost usable as long as I don't want to stream anything of do any online gaming, obviously.

Guess this is probably the best I'm going to get, so until next month, when I'll be back no doubt with the same issue.

worzel
Grafter

Still no answer..... making me wonder what's the point of reporting anything.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Worzel,

Yes sometimes responses on here are a bit sparse!  From the description you have given, it sounds as though you have a protracted copper circuit issue.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent.

If there is any noise on the line, then this needs to be perused as a phone line fault.  Does PlusNet supply you phone service?  It is possible that the line fault has been fixed, but he DLM has not 'recovered' from the issue caused by that fault.  Providing the line stats will help assess that possibility.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.