cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant drop in download speed

TBag
Grafter

Constant drop in download speed

My download speed on fibre unlimited has regularly gone down from 68 mbs to 53 mbs in stages. The IP profile on BTW was 74 meg in March this year. By June it had come down to 67 meg, and now it is 56 meg. At every stage of this drop in speed I have spoken to support, and frankly have been fobbed off. Yesterday I spoke to support again, and this time I'm being given a run around that my exchange is limited to 56 meg only, what? The man I spoke to stuck adamantly to this new phenomenon, no matter how much I tried to explain to him that the exchange is capable of 76 meg on FTTC. Not only frustrating really, but also quite baffling.
Could the more knowledgeable support guys, who I know frequent this forum quite often, please have a look at this? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Constant drop in download speed

Hi there,
Not sure there's anything we can do in this case I'm afraid. The notes on the ticket state you've requested an SNR reset but unfortunately we aren't able to do these on Fibre.
I suspect this will be down to crosstalk, basically lines in the cabinet interfere with each other and the more lines there are connected the more interference (and the slower the speed on each line). I believe this is something BT are working on a fix for, but don't have any sort of dates I'm afraid.
TBag
Grafter

Hi Matt
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't BT engineers supposed to do that SNR reset their end at the cabin, since they have not delegated that chore to the ISPs. I know where you are coming from re x-talk, but I gather that being only one possible scenario. Is it possible that my SNR has shot up due to any inexplicable reason, and hence the drop in speed which can only be rectified by a BT engineer?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's possible, yes, though it's a lot less likely than the crosstalk scenario. The difficulty though will be getting the fault to be accepted as the line speed is within acceptable limits according to our suppliers.
You're correct that the SNR reset has to be done at the cabinet by the engineer, and we'll certainly do what we can to get this done for you, but I doubt it'll be quick or easy due to the above.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: TBag
My download speed on fibre unlimited has regularly gone down from 68 mbs to 53 mbs in stages. The IP profile on BTW was 74 meg in March this year. By June it had come down to 67 meg, and now it is 56 meg. At every stage of this drop in speed I have spoken to support, and frankly have been fobbed off. Yesterday I spoke to support again, and this time I'm being given a run around that my exchange is limited to 56 meg only, what? The man I spoke to stuck adamantly to this new phenomenon, no matter how much I tried to explain to him that the exchange is capable of 76 meg on FTTC. Not only frustrating really, but also quite baffling.
Could the more knowledgeable support guys, who I know frequent this forum quite often, please have a look at this? Thanks.

it could be that BT has revised downwards the speed capability of the line as they keep adding new people to the cabinet and thus lowering the overall capability of each line ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TBag
Grafter

I doubt if the dl speed would go down that far, i.e. from 68 meg to 53 meg with the addition of considerable number of lines to the cabinet, but hey we are talking about BT here, yeah anything is possible. It's always 'the acceptable limits' with BT, so we the punters have very little room to manoeuvre.
Coming from LLU as I did (was with BE for 6 years), i still need a little time to get used to the fact that any deterioration in my download speed etc, I have to take it with fortitude, and hope that some other reputable ISP would come up with LLU FTTC in the future.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

aside from the fact every isp uses some from of traffic management to load share there customers at peek usage times, the sped testers aren't that accurate at telling you what your data speeds truly are, the btw one definitely does tell you your ip profile though (which is your max download speed)
one of the speedteseters I used the other week actually showed me as achieving 10meg down and 15 meg up, another one run immediately afterwards showed 50 down and 26 up, several others gave between 30>40 down and 5>15 up, I know I didn't make any changes to my network and having been running a tracert -t to the various ip addresses I know there was no giant problems with that, so chances are the speed was indicative of what the test server could do at that point in time (one consistently gave the same low speeds despite most of the others achieving much better results)
and since speedtest.net became a badged google company the results from there have been poorer than they were previously ....
of course it could just be a wider network capacity issue that's starting to grow in size as more people get pumped onto the fttc/p hook-ups, pretty sure though that LLU suffers exactly the same as everyone else, you need a cable provider to get a different service (cos otherwise its all on BT's gear)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you