Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant disconnects for the past week

FIXED
kmw350
Rising Star

Constant disconnects for the past week

I've started getting constant disconnects from my broadband since last Thursday or Friday (1st June 23). At it's worst it is unusable, for example last night for one period it just kept disconnecting & reconnecting every 10 minutes or so.

I'm generally running through a Mk3 filter plate, but I also tried it direct from the master socket without the plate (and with plusnet provided filter), and I'm now connected at the test socket with a new microfilter but it is still happening.

Can a kind soul there please check my line and advise me if anything can be done to help?

Many thanks

Keith

27 REPLIES 27
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Constant disconnects for the past week

@kmw350 Staff response on here can be a little slow, so follow whichever of the below options suits you.

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

OR

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
kmw350
Rising Star

John,

thank you very much for replying. (It has disconnected four times in the past half hour while trying to reply to you).

First, I've just done the quiet line test, and it seems absolutely fine.

The only other info I can think to add is, 1) the reconnect is generally quite quick, almost immediate i.e. 90secs flashing orange, 90sec+ static orange, then back to blue.; 2) My down/up speeds have not really suffered, though they did drop to 25 at one point during the week; 3) it seems to be an intermittent fault with everything looking normal every time it reconnects; 4)  I had a very similar problem a few years ago, went through all the reporting and fault finding, but despite Plusnet's (and you good people on this forum) best efforts, it just seemed to correct itself after several weeks; my connection has been unbelievably stable for the past few months, sometimes going two or more weeks without a disconnect, which is generally unusual for my location.

Here are the screenshots you asked for

btinfo.jpg

diag.jpghelpdesk.jpg

jab1
Legend

Fix

Keith, looking at that, you have a fault on the BT/OR network - use the broadband fault report link in my reply above.

John
kmw350
Rising Star

Thank you John,

I've followed the link and used the HELP text and Plusnet are checking the line now.

jab1
Legend

If they don't 'find a problem', let us know - there certainly is one!

John
kmw350
Rising Star

Unfortunately, Plusnet have already texted back saying the line from their network to my home is working, so I should look at the connection in my home.

Since I have already tried connecting via the MK3 plate, the master socket, and 'the normal' socket, (including filters), I'm not sure what else to try.

(BTW I do have a new Hub 2 from my recent contract renewal, which I have not yet used, but I was reluctant to add that into the equation until I got a stable connection back).

jab1
Legend

The Help Desk page you posted earlier clearly shows xDSL drops. Sorry to ask for more info, but can you please post the 'WAN' tab from from your Hubs error log, please? This will probably need staff intervention - the automated testing is not 100% reliable.

John
kmw350
Rising Star

Sorry John, where is the WAN tab, I can't see it?

jab1
Legend

Navigate to 'Troubleshooting' > event log, and click the drop-down.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

(BTW I do have a new Hub 2 from my recent contract renewal, which I have not yet used, but I was reluctant to add that into the equation until I got a stable connection back).

I can appreciate why you may be reluctant to do that as it may mask an underlying problem. However, given that the automated tests returned no fault, replacing the router is going to be one of the next things requested as part of the fault investigation.

Your Hub 1 appears to be 'trying too hard' to achieve a high speed ( the speeds are above the higher estimates ). The Hub 2 has a different modem chipset to the Hub1 and can often achive a more stable connection.

To make your life easy on changeover, I would change the wifi SSID and password on the Hub 2 to match those of the Hub 1, thus any wireless devices would not need reconfiguration, they will just connect to the Hub 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kmw350
Rising Star

OK, new Plusnet Hub2 is up and running, (already had another disconnect after one minute though).

jab1
Legend

I still think it is a problem outside your control. This really needs staff attention.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

When you recontacted to did you also upgrade from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra ?

The reason I ask is your upload profile shows a 20Mbps.

Dan.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

I suspect you're correct @jab1 but at least the router is now eliminated as a problem. Having tested from the test socket and replaced the router , there's now nothing left to attribute the fault to an internal problem.

@kmw350 Looks like you're either going to have to call customer services or wait for a staff member to pick up this thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.